hood scoop block off plates

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machattack

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang mach 1 351c 4v auto fmx
1968 mustang gt 302 4v 4 speed
What screw is used to fasten those scoop plates? or is it a tiny bolt?  I see the housing has pre-drilled holes but no fastener has ever been installed.

Back in 2011 someone asked the same question but didnt get a response. So it appears. 

Thanks

What screw is used to fasten those scoop plates? or is it a tiny bolt?  I see the housing has pre-drilled holes but no fastener has ever been installed.

Back in 2011 someone asked the same question but didnt get a response. So it appears. 

Thanks
You're referring to the plastic insert pieces with honeycomb style front surface ? ?   If so, there is a little Phillips head ( number 2 size ? ) self tapper on each side to secure the leg on the end of the plastic plate.   It will just fit through the hole on the leg part and pick up the threads in the holes in the scoop body. Have a trial run with whatever you come up with.

Go get 'em.

PKJ

Thanks
You're referring to the plastic insert pieces with honeycomb style front surface ? ?   If so, there is a little Phillips head ( number 2 size ? ) self tapper on each side to secure the leg on the end of the plastic plate.   It will just fit through the hole on the leg part and pick up the threads in the holes in the scoop body. Have a trial run with whatever you come up with.

Go get 'em.

PKJ
Thank you for taking the time to answer!

If you go to row 969 of the "71_73 MHW71-73AP05 71 73 Hardware Concourse Forum 1" file in bkdunha's thread you'll find them

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-71-73-hardware-listing-from-concourse-forum
I would assume that if a car was purchased new and Did NOT have working ram air the scoops would have been plated from the factory?  My hood is original but the plate holes had never seen a fastner in them. What you say almighty ford GURU  :D  

Thank you don for Helpin so many folks!!!

Yes, they would have come from the factory with the dummy scoop if they didn't have ram air. No clue why there's no sign of a fastener have ever been in there. Maybe they weren't tightened down very much, with the screw threads being in plastic, so the screw heads didn't mark the metal in the housing.

These stangs certainly produce a bunch of mystery.

I posted a thread on the dlx door panels and on the back it is stamped "reject". Im almost 100% positive they are the original door panels.

Back