nasa hood stencil

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machattack

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang mach 1 351c 4v auto fmx
1968 mustang gt 302 4v 4 speed
Hi,

My car is going in for paint and need a hood paint stencil. Anybody got a used one to sell? There is many times a forum member points out one that is painted wrong. figured I would get one correct from the forum.

Thank you

Hi,

My car is going in for paint and need a hood paint stencil. Anybody got a used one to sell? There is many times a forum member points out one that is painted wrong. figured I would get one correct from the forum.

Thank you
 Do a search for Carolina's or 7173Vert's original hood pictures and dimensions and just get it laid out. you really don't need a "stencil', none of then are good enough. I'm sure one of those guys will post their pics anyway if you wait.

There has been pages of posts on this subject.

Good luck, take your time and get it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
My painter didn’t use a stencil. But I made sure that he did it correct as possible. I went by measurements from others who have posted about it. Do a search and look for the most recent ones about hood blackout. Like Stanglover said, you don’t really need a stencil. 

The part that most get wrong is the set back from the front and the corner radius used in front. I have done several post on the hood since I have an original. The width of the narrow strip around the outer edge is also something they do not get right.

I did a rub off on mylar for a member that was going to scan into CAD and get us a good stencil but the virus thing has delayed. 

I can do a rub off of the front radius and mail to you if you PM me your address. I do have a post with a scale on the hook so you can get that info by a search. 

Here is pic of the car so you know when you find my post. 

Thanks guys for your help!

Just trying to make it easy and as simple stupid for the painter as possible. You know how it goes, if it isnt easy and fail proof it will go wrong.

Just trying to make it easy and as simple stupid for the painter as possible. You know how it goes, if it isnt easy and fail proof it will go wrong.
And even when it is easy, it will often go wrong as well! ::devil:: :whistling:

And even when it is easy, it will often go wrong as well! ::devil:: :whistling:
No stinkin thinkin on my behalf please  :thankyouyellow:  lollerz

my car just got back from the body shop and the hood graphics came out fantastic.  I supplied them with the stencil from graphics express and they came out great.  

Compare that to David Fowler's 73 unrestored original and it looks great.  

Screenshot_20200527-163853_Samsung Internet.jpg

20201003_120730.jpg

Looks good Jim !!  What is the stencil # from Graphics?  If you would please. 

I still dont have my car back from the painters, its been 4 .5 months.  Might have to go with legal actions. You know.....take your money then give excuses as to why its not done.

I still dont have my car back from the painters, its been 4 .5 months.  Might have to go with legal actions. You know.....take your money then give excuses as to why its not done.
That's called "paint jail" - good luck...

That happened to me and I had to get all my mustang parts out with a flashlight after the shop went out of business. 

Same with me. I showed up one day to check on progress of a car I was having done and the place was dark. I went next door and asked that business what happened, and they told me he folded up a couple of weeks before. I told them my car was in there and the guy said the body shop owner said I might show up. The shop doors were unlocked and my keys were in the ignition. Any one could have taken it. They also hit my hood with a forklift getting their shop equipment out. One year and a lawsuit later, I got my money back.

The stencil came from Graphics Express in Inverness,  Fl. Just Google them.  Came out great using David's reference measurements for locating the correct starting placement. 

Man, I think we all have horrible luck with painters. I found a guy to paint the car at his shop in his back yard. He lives in a sketchy area but has cameras and other security measures in place.  He was 2 to 3k cheaper than every shop i called and he gave me a 30 day turnaround and it was a color change to boot. So I gave him A shot solely based on his quick turnaround..  I checked with him every few days, which really irritated him, but I had to explain that he was working for me, not the other way around and I was protecting my investment by making sure he stayed focused and on schedule with my project.  Then the trouble struck. He had taken the fenders to the welder for repair and left them on his trailer in the front yard while he worked in the back yard and someone stole the trailer with my fenders on it. He was a good guy and replaced them with dynacorn fenders.  I didn't know how they would fit and others said they were ok. He did an excellent job on the paint and finished on time. But, he had zero talent for lining anything up straight or assembling the interior parts he removed. He put the door seals in and every single one was wrong and most of them he couldn't even figure out even with me supplying the assembly manual and many pictures. So I had to take it to another local specialty body shop to fix all the issues.  The dynacorn fenders could not be fixed and are pretty poor in fitment. They are too short, not wide enough on one side, the windshield reveal area doesn't line up, the bumper and lower valence area doesn't fit good.  Just so many issues that I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.  Im going to eventually have to find a set of original fenders to replace them.  Which sucks ass. But its done now and even with all those issues the car looks amazing.  

Decals go on next week then its done for a couple of years. 

20201003_162813.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had been told by a couple members that their template was not right. I need to order one and lay on my car and take pics to see for sure. I know one member contacted them about changing and they said people bought what they had and would not change. He took a rub off from me and got his cut from that. I do not know specifics but will find out. 

I had been told by a couple members that their template was not right. I need to order one and lay on my car and take pics to see for sure. I know one member contacted them about changing and they said people bought what they had and would not change. He took a rub off from me and got his cut from that. I do not know specifics but will find out. 
I think the stencil is correct now based on the results I got.  Their instructions may be the issue because I think their measure of the center point didn't match up to yours. But using your position measurements I think it came out fantastic. 

Back