Door and quarter panel Beltline weatherstrip alignment?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang 302 V8
Hi, My car is a 71 and I have purchased the beltline weatherstrips

The kit i bought was from NPD, made by PUI, NPD Part No 21455-4BR 

The top outside PUI weatherstrip is wider than my original weatherstrip, the weatherstrip also has the clips pre-fitted to push into the door slots.

On the 71 there are two outside weatherstrips for the door (1 upper and 1 lower), the above kit only comes with the 1 upper door felt.

I managed to find the correct lower door felt weatherstrip at NPD, its part number 21455-4D Window Felt Kit Lower Concours Approved (2 Pieces, 1 for LHS, 1 FOR RHS). 

Here is a picture of the original and the replacement

Now for information, if you have a 71 the lower felt kit above could also be used for the upper weatherstrip too.

Back to the Upper beltline weatherstrip......Here is a picture of the end profile 

When this is clipped into the door, the top rolled edge of the strip sits on the vertical inner edge of the door.

To be honest, I am wondering if this fitment is actually correct? Because I don't think it looks right? 

Here is a piece of the weatherstrip used on the lower rear quarter, I have remover the pre-fitted clips and offered it up the the wing

You can see the difference between the door edge and the rear quarter edge on that top profile, I think it looks better sitting on top of the panel edge.

So the Question is how would you fit it?

Please go and check your cars and report back.....Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

The top outside weatherstrip is wider than my original weatherstrip, the weatherstrip also has the clips pre-fitted to push into the door slots.

On the 71 there are two outside weatherstrips for the door (1 upper and 1 lower), the above kit only comes with the 1 upper door felt.

I managed to find the correct lower door felt weatherstrip at NPD, its part number 21455-4D Window Felt Kit Lower Concours Approved (2 Pieces, 1 for LHS, 1 FOR RHS). 

Now for information, if you have a 71 the lower felt kit above could also be used for the upper weatherstrip too.

Back to the Upper beltline weatherstrip......Here is a picture of the end profile 

When this is clipped into the door, the top rolled edge of the strip sits on the vertical inner edge of the door.

To be honest, I am wondering if this fitment is actually correct? Because I don't think it looks right? 

Here is a piece of the weatherstrip used on the lower rear quarter, I have remover the pre-fitted clips and offered it up the the wing

You can see the difference between the door edge and the rear quarter edge on that top profile, I think it looks better sitting on top of the panel edge.

I have a 71 but do not have both strips. Did not know there was suppose to be two of them.  I am confused as to where the lower strip goes.  I have replace mine and only have one outer which snaps into the door.  I think it looks good in the bottom picture.

My 71 had both strips but I ended up replacing the top one only and leaving the old bottom one. I am curious to hear responses about the fitment. Mine is the same way but it sits flush against the edge so there is no gap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The top outside weatherstrip is wider than my original weatherstrip, the weatherstrip also has the clips pre-fitted to push into the door slots.

Here is a piece of the weatherstrip used on the lower rear quarter, I have removed the pre-fitted clips and offered it up the the wing

I have a 71 but do not have both strips. Did not know there was suppose to be two of them.  I am confused as to where the lower strip goes.  I have replace mine and only have one outer which snaps into the door.  I think it looks good in the bottom picture.

I will take some detailed pictures for you.  ::thumb::

The Lower strip only runs along the door for about 3/4 of the way.  It fits directly under the top strip with no gap.

The replacement lower weatherstrip is longer than the factory original, so either cut it to size or add another screw (that's what I did). 

Back