VE Day celebrations

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Various
On the 8th May 1945 many of your Parents and Grandparents saw Nazi unconditional surrender marking the end of WW2 in Europe. 

Without the help of our colonial cousins, we'd be goose stepping our kids to school and speaking German. 

We'll never forget the US contribution from your Air, Sea and Land forces to reboot freedom for all. 

thank you 

Over here on this side of the Atlantic, despite lock-down, we're celebrating this day ... and celebrating you . 

All the best 

Al

Last edited by a moderator:
We helped, but if it hadn't been for the "stiff upper lip" and all of the sacrifices from Britain we would have had a much harder time doing it. In other words, I'm glad we're on the same side...

That was a war against true evil- both Germany and Japan.

My father served in the Royal Canadian Army under British FM B.L. Montgomery.

Canada was well installed in the Commonwealth in those days.

He started out in Farnborough, south of London, getting prepared for the big day.

From there soldiered in France, Holland, Belgium, and Germany.

He came home to Ontario in 1946, still alive and well--to a grateful family and fiance, my mum.

Those were defining years for the nation.

Grateful to the Lord he survived, but so many young bucks never returned.

Sincere sympathies to families, spouses, and children who never had a chance to say goodbye.

And a salute to all who did their bit, at home or abroad. Very thankful for all the sacrifices.

As all of the above mentioned it was a joint effort by many countries and untold human sacrifice. We as a country have seen our far share or wars. From our first fight for independence to our most current conflict in Afghanistan our father and mothers, son and daughters, sisters and brothers have been there to answer the call. Hopefully somewhere in the near future mankind will learn to live in peace.

Well Thank you Al !!! Our troops certainly dont hear that enough. May 8th is my birthday, but 57 not 45 :D . I will always remember your freedom now on that day.

Thank you for starting this thread and you words, as a retiree from the U.S. Army with 27 years of active duty, I have seen a few tour of duties to both Iraq and Afghanistan and I can and will say that I remain thankful to our forces and all of our ally forces around the world. My father served in Japan during WWII and my uncle in Germany at the same time, I am thankful that they both made it back and miss them all of the time now that they are both gone.

I have a real soft spot for all the girls and boys in the armed forces.

I have a saying..."Getting in the uniform is above an beyond... what they do afterward is astonishing."

Past and present. Where ever you are, who ever you are, today we're thinking about you.

And don't forget the Canadian forces ;)
 Our men and women quietly and efficiently went about liberating much of Europe. We will never forget their heroism and sacrifices...

On this date in 1945 my stepfather was in the Po River valley, in Italy, with the 34th Infantry Division. He landed in North Africa in 1942, then Sicily and then Italy. He was a good man who served his country well. Go 34th, the Red Bull Division. Isostatic thanks for the original post and all who have commented. Chuck

I too would like to thank our friend 1sostatic for starting this very appropriate thread today.

In reality, it matters not where an allied force was from, they all fought for OUR freedom that we enjoy today. I for one am grateful to them all, all who sacrificed and all who came home.

Now I just wish our thankless newer generations would understand and appreciate what it really means to be free.

Well, we had little mini street parties all over the country keeping to the distance rules 

and they even chucked some hardware into the sky ...they kept more than 2 meters apart as well (that's 2.18723425 yards for ya'aaaall from US of A  :p )

Well, we had little mini street parties all over the country keeping to the distance rules 

and they even chucked some hardware into the sky ...they kept more than 2 meters apart as well (that's 2.18723425 yards for ya'aaaall from US of A  :p )

The "Red Arrows" rock!!

Latest posts

Back