Again with OVERHEATING issues...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang sportsroof
1970 Mustang Hardtop
1972 Mercedes Benz 350 SLC European Version
1950 Ford Custom coupé
Hello there my friends!!?? Well... everybody is having heating problems... Yesterday i was commenting on the Sprint issue how i "solved" my overheating problems... then i went for a ride and there it was again!!... te TEMP light turning a little on!...

The thing is that now i have everything new at the cooling system so... What can it be the issue??...

Some facts i notice that are a little odd...

First of all... the light doesnt turn all the way on... it looks like it is a dimmered light and you switch just a little on... it barely bright in the night to be clear... but still.. it is turning a little on...

Second... Yesterday i noticed that as i pushed the gas pedal and the engine was with more RPM, the light was a little more brighter, however, when i was waiting at idle in trafic, the light turned off... From what i now it should be the opposite...

I didn´t hear boiling cooling liquid or even too hot hoses (upper hose was the one i checked and as now i´m running with thermostat, it showed it worked but the hose was not that hot to justify the warning temp light on...)

The only thing i can imagine is that is something in the system that´s bothering my cooling... the engine is perfectly tunned and it runs fantastic...

I know i should check the temp some other way, maybe with a laser thermometer but either way, i just can imagine the problem that it may cause an overheat issue or i even cant imagine what else can it be... If the sensor is not propperly grounded, then it should be on everytime and not just when the temp is high, even if it is still in the working range...

Anyway... Help me figure this out!! i just hate to drive with a RED light on my dash! Grr!

Thanks!!

Disconnect the wire going to your sending unit. Then ground it to a good known grounding source and see if the light is brighter. If it is the bi-mettalic strip in your sending unit is going bad.

I hope you´re right!! Mark, im gonna do that as soon as i get to the garage... i know the bulb behind the dashboard is normal and as bright as it should be cause when you put contact in the car, it turns on as a bulb check and it is a good bright red light...

Even if the problem is the sender, how should i check how hot my engine is working??... Because it could be a little bit of both too... Im sooo used to the fact a problem is really 2 or 3 smaller problems at the same timeeee...

Without installing an actual gauge I think you would have to have a thermometer in the fluid when the light is coming on to verfify the temperature. Be careful when taking the radiator cap off when hot as it could spray out and scald you. I think if it were actually getting hot you would hear it boiling and releasing fluid from the vent tube coming off the top of the radiator. Good luck!

Yes.. i know what you mean and no, i didn´t ever see the any cooland coming off the vent tube but i was thinking... maybe it can be some air on my system... when i replaced the waterpump, hoses, thermostat and pipe i filled the radiator with coolant, start the engine and see if the level was going down, it didn´t...

Now i'm thinking that when the thermostat opens, there should be more "room" for water tu circulate and maybe that can cause a low level of coolant increasing the working temp just a little bit to contribute to work a little more hot than it should be...

Personally, you can't beat analog gauges. Temp, oil pressure, and amps. They are quite easy to install. And if you don't want to install them they are great for troubleshooting problems such as yours.

When you turn your key the first position is for the lamp test it is grounding them as a test for you. If the bulb is coming on bright at that point, it's a good idea to test the wire at the end where it plugs to the sender. This will test everything from the sender to the light. Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, you can't beat analog gauges. Temp, oil pressure, and amps. They are quite easy to install. And if you don't want to install them they are great for troubleshooting problems such as yours.

When you turn your key the first position is for the lamp test it is grounding them as a test for you. If the bulb is coming on bright at that point, it's a good idea to test the wire at the end where it plugs to the sender. This will test everything from the sender to the light. Good luck
I´m with you on that Mark... But my car doesn´t have that type of gauges and i´m sticking to originality as much as i can, that´s why i should find the problem and solve it without adding non original gauges to my car...

Now im thinking i dont actually remember the specific TEMP light to come on bright when i go for the first position in the key... i should test this things while i´m in the car just to talk based on sure things... I do remember the oil and amp lights become bright when i turn my key but i´m trying to remember if the temp turns on in this test stage or not...

What i´m going to do is to sit in the car and test everything... then i post again with facts, not memory recalls :p I also will test the other thing you told me earlier... just go with the sender wire to ground and see if the line from there to the dashboard is ok... If it is, the problem is the sender or overheat in my engine... What do you think?

If yor turn your key to where the lights are off (run position without actually starting the car) then ground that wire, It should come on bright. If it does, replace the sending unit.

I know originality is an issue for you but what I don't like about the lights for the temperature is that when they come on. Sometimes it is already to late. You might want to put a temp gauge somewhere less obvious. Maybe somewhere that you can make a small piece to flip it when your driving then hide when you show the car.

They are commonly referred to around here as IDIOT lights, cause 72 is correct by the time you see the light it is usually to late. Then you slap yourself on the forehead and say what an idiot:p

well if we go oil also I guess volt meter and gas pressure is also needed :D

Damian forget stock just built a pro street with just switches and gauges :p just teasing::tease::

Damian,

I mounted my gauges in front of my pocket near the top of the dash. To me, it looked pretty natural. You could find a gauged set up for your car, but protecting our investment sometimes is more important than looks. Be sure to let us know what you found, Helping others is what we're all about. Good luck.

Thanks guys for the feedback! I know what you mean about the idiot lights! Just an upaste on the try Mark told me to do:

When i turn the key to check the idiot lights, the temp one does NOT turn on at all... Id i disconect the wire from the sender and ground it, the light turns on right away... I believe the sender is trashed... What do you think?!

About the extra gagues... What if i chance my center trim on the dashboard to acomodate a Mach 1 one with the 3 gauge room? In theta i may acomodate a temp, an oil preasure and maybe an amp one... This way i can go back to original specs just changing that trim part...

Back