Remote Mirror Install

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71legacy

Reaction score
My Car
71 Convertible Mustang
2000 Z71
91 F150 4.9 4x4
Can some one enlighten me on where and how the control knob for my new mirror goes, The 69 Bezel is all over the place but I cant find anything for a 71. My interior is standard so my TMI panel does not have the hole cut out and I cant find a pic of the driver door anywhere, I want to install it close the correct location and I am torn on buying the 69 bezel if its not year specific. any and all help is always appreciated.

Horizontally, the center of the hole is 10 3/8" back from the front edge of the door panel, the vertical edge.

Vertically, it's down just enough for the bezel to clear the bottom edge of the upper door trim. On my original panels, it's right on the outer embossed stitching.

thanks so much this helps. That looks Great I cant wait to finish this project after I replace my rear main seal.

So, you're adding sport mirrors to your Vert, do you have dimensions to the location of the mirror? Or are you going to position them so you can see. I say that because, being a shorter guy, I find the factory position on my Mach way too far back for my seating position. If I were customizing, I would place them at least 2" forward. I actually need to lean my head backward, just to clearly see behind me. These cars were built for 6 footers!! 

Anyway, if it helps, here are a couple of pics for the location if not too late. They're a bit blurry, but readable.

By the way, I did a thread some time ago for a mirror mod I did for the passenger side to make it much larger and convex. Pm if interested.

A related question for any Cougar guys out there. I have a remote right hand side mirror on my '71 convertible that I believe is from a Cougar, as Ford did not offer a remote option for the passenger side mirror for '71 Mustangs. My question is, where was the joystick installed in the Cougar? I would guess somewhere on the dash.

A related question for any Cougar guys out there.  I have a remote right hand side mirror on my '71 convertible that I believe is from a Cougar, as Ford did not offer a remote option for the passenger side mirror for '71 Mustangs.  My question is, where was the joystick installed in the Cougar?  I would guess somewhere on the dash.
A few months back, there was a guy here in Ontario, trying to sell a right side remote mirror for a 71-73 Mustang. I posted on the forum about it and was told it could be from a Torino. His picture showed a long cable, so I would guess it was on the dash, not sure where though.

It definitely would have been a nice addition to the Mustang.

Try Granada or Monarch. The RH remote mirror was an option on them, can't tell you much more than that. The knob was mounted to the right of the steering column on the dash.

AHA!  It's a Pinto/Bobcat mirror.
Wow, if Ford could put it on a friggin Pinto, why not a Mustang??

It was still unfortunate the Ford never realized that the right side mirror glass was woefully way too small to actually be able to see anything behind.

They used the same head for all the various body styles, only the base changed.

If you think a 71-73 sportsroof has bad rear visibility, try a 70-71 Torino sportsroof. The big bulging quarters make the side mirrors nearly useless, and you can't see anything behind you that's shorter than 4' tall.

Back