Remote Mirror Install

Can some one enlighten me on where and how the control knob for my new mirror goes, The 69 Bezel is all over the place but I cant find anything for a 71. My interior is standard so my TMI panel does not have the hole cut out and I cant find a pic of the driver door anywhere, I want to install it close the correct location and I am torn on buying the 69 bezel if its not year specific. any and all help is always appreciated.

Horizontally, the center of the hole is 10 3/8" back from the front edge of the door panel, the vertical edge.

Vertically, it's down just enough for the bezel to clear the bottom edge of the upper door trim. On my original panels, it's right on the outer embossed stitching.

Not sure if this helps but here is a pic of where remote goes on a deluxe interior...assume standard interior has the hole in same spot relative to the door.

IMG-1114.jpg

Jeff

1972 Q Code Convertible

thanks so much this helps. That looks Great I cant wait to finish this project after I replace my rear main seal.

I have a junk drivers side deluxe panel.  If you want I can chop the front off and send it to you as a template.  Free- you pay shipping.

1-D652290-F895-464-E-8-EC6-FE93-F67220-B0.jpg

thanks so much this helps.  That looks Great I cant wait to finish this project after I replace my rear main seal.

No problem and good luck with the rest of your project.

John - 72 Q Code

So, you're adding sport mirrors to your Vert, do you have dimensions to the location of the mirror? Or are you going to position them so you can see. I say that because, being a shorter guy, I find the factory position on my Mach way too far back for my seating position. If I were customizing, I would place them at least 2" forward. I actually need to lean my head backward, just to clearly see behind me. These cars were built for 6 footers!! 

Anyway, if it helps, here are a couple of pics for the location if not too late. They're a bit blurry, but readable.

By the way, I did a thread some time ago for a mirror mod I did for the passenger side to make it much larger and convex. Pm if interested.

IMG-0720.jpg

IMG-0721.jpg

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

A related question for any Cougar guys out there. I have a remote right hand side mirror on my '71 convertible that I believe is from a Cougar, as Ford did not offer a remote option for the passenger side mirror for '71 Mustangs. My question is, where was the joystick installed in the Cougar? I would guess somewhere on the dash.

---

Mike

A related question for any Cougar guys out there.  I have a remote right hand side mirror on my '71 convertible that I believe is from a Cougar, as Ford did not offer a remote option for the passenger side mirror for '71 Mustangs.  My question is, where was the joystick installed in the Cougar?  I would guess somewhere on the dash.

A few months back, there was a guy here in Ontario, trying to sell a right side remote mirror for a 71-73 Mustang. I posted on the forum about it and was told it could be from a Torino. His picture showed a long cable, so I would guess it was on the dash, not sure where though.

It definitely would have been a nice addition to the Mustang.

Geoff.

Try Granada or Monarch. The RH remote mirror was an option on them, can't tell you much more than that. The knob was mounted to the right of the steering column on the dash.

AHA!  It's a Pinto/Bobcat mirror.

Wow, if Ford could put it on a friggin Pinto, why not a Mustang??

It was still unfortunate the Ford never realized that the right side mirror glass was woefully way too small to actually be able to see anything behind.

Geoff.

They used the same head for all the various body styles, only the base changed.

If you think a 71-73 sportsroof has bad rear visibility, try a 70-71 Torino sportsroof. The big bulging quarters make the side mirrors nearly useless, and you can't see anything behind you that's shorter than 4' tall.

If you think the mirror in Pinto and not Mustang is bad there is another. Ford did put leather wrapped steering wheel in Mustang for 1973 Much better feel the stock wheel is so skinny. The leather wheel was also in the Pinto before the Mustang.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

If you think the mirror in Pinto and not Mustang is bad there is another. Ford did put leather wrapped steering wheel in Mustang for 1973 Much better feel the stock wheel is so skinny. The leather wheel was also in the Pinto before the Mustang.

Goes to show that many Ford engineers and designers were NOT the brightest bulbs on the tree back in the day. So many things could have been designed or made way better, the list is endless.

Geoff.

I believe that it's all a matter of internal politics, emission requirements, and bean counters controlling what options are available, as well as what model of car they are trying to push. Engineers and designers are NOT part of that equation.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

• 2 months later...

Jpaz thanks for the help. my panel had 2 perfs off set from each other in the place you have yours looks good enough for my old rag top. as for ther mirrors I placed the front hole where the flat one was and had to drill a pilot hole for the rear worked out pretty good. I figure i have my chick act as the remote for the right side if it.

needs it. even at 6 foot I have a hard time reaching the other side, still looking for a grande center console but the will make it even harder if i decide to install one.

after pulling both motor and trans to replace all seals my FMX converter decided to twist the pump slots after i got it back together but she runs great with the new retro distributor with a hot-spark points conversion set up (should have done that years ago} once fmx is back in she should be spinning that back right through 4rd again.

thanks all for the input. I am blessed to have this forum, this car has been in the family since I was 5 I have had it in my stable since 2006 and now just getting to all the things I always wanted to do to it. losing the true spokes and adding rear disks was the first now im headed towards red and black interior and no leaks for a year or 2 I hope. 

Spoiler

mustang 62019.jpg

• Like 1