Front Blinker Help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
H Code 351C
All,

Need some assistance.  My front blinkers in my 73 vert quit working.  details:

All lights work, including front parking lights.

Rear blinkers work

Emergency flasher work (front and rear)

Left and right turn signal indicators in dash work including the audiable clicking

The only thing that doesn't work is the front blinkers.

Could this be a bulb issue on both even though the parking lights work?  I was going to replace the flasher relay, but does that not control both front and back?

That's a dual filament bulb, did you swap the bulb with the one on the other side?

I meant, did you swap the bulb with one that works, to see if the problem moves? Then you could yell if it's a bulb issue

I meant, did you swap the bulb with one that works, to see if the problem moves? Then you could yell if it's a bulb issue
Ah sorry,  No both front blinkers are not working.   I am going to pickup new bulbs and see.  Just seems odd that they would both quit at the same time.

If the 4 way flashers work but the turn signals do not up front, then the problem is more likely in the turn signal switch itself, rather than in the bulbs, sockets, or wiring forward of the firewall.

If the 4 way flashers work but the turn signals do not up front, then the problem is more likely in the turn signal switch itself, rather than in the bulbs, sockets, or wiring forward of the firewall.
Thanks, I'll check that out as well.
Ok, so an update.  My vision is apparently screwy... I could have sworn the flashers worked, but I checked them again and no front flasher and the rear just flashes fast.  So I appears to be the fuse.  That makes me feel better as when I thought everything but the front blinkers worked, I was getting a little worried.  Got new flasher unit arriving tomorrow so I'll hope that cures it.  Otherwise, I'll keep running down the other fuses, etc... on donw the line.

Thanks everyone for the help.

If it were the fuse, none of them would work. When you have fast flashing it's generally because other bulbs on the same side are burned out or power is not getting to the bulbs, bad turn signal switch, bad connections, bad bulbs, or bad grounds.

Any time you are into the bulbs and sockets clean the contacts with steel wool or sandpaper and apply the electrical grease to stop the corrosion. It works on boat trailers and campers and also cars. You local parts house will have it I think the last I got was made by permatex.
Thanks,

I have a new relay coming and some new bulbs.  Going to replace everything and clean all connections and see if that fixes it.  Otherwiese I'll investigate the wiring.

Trouble shout the issues one at a time I and eventually I'll find it.  I appreciate everyone's help!!

Any time you are into the bulbs and sockets clean the contacts with steel wool or sandpaper and apply the electrical grease to stop the corrosion. It works on boat trailers and campers and also cars. You local parts house will have it I think the last I got was made by permatex.
Thanks,

I have a new relay coming and some new bulbs.  Going to replace everything and clean all connections and see if that fixes it.  Otherwiese I'll investigate the wiring.

Trouble shout the issues one at a time I and eventually I'll find it.  I appreciate everyone's help!!
Problems (2) solved.

Thanks everyone for your help.  Turns out I had a two fold problem.  Not sure if one led to the other, but both are cured now.

1st... The front blinker... I did have a bulb with the blinker filliment out.  Not sure how I missed that but oh well.  Blinkers work now.

2nd... The emergency flashers were still flashing fast.  So I replaced the relay in the glove box and all is well now.

This forum has been extremely valuable to me so thank you everyone who shares their knowledge and experience.

Back