Truss Bolt on Convertible Top (Update)

Hi,  

Attached is a photo of what I believe is the screw holding my roof handle to the frame.  I really can't see the actual screw but I assume it is like this.  Does anybody know what type of tool to use? Hex driver. I need to order something before I 'peel' corner side of the roof to access it. I don't want to strip 

[/url]IMG-20200512-174912217.jpg

Edited by cv_72mustang

Hard to tell from pic. Is it a #3 Phillips?

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

The hash marks on the 45° denote a Pozidrive screw. It's not the same as a Phillips, recommend you buy the correct bit.

You might be able to find one at a really good local hardware store.

https://www.mcmaster.com/pozidriv-screwdrivers/driver-style~bit/for-drive-style~pozidriv-/

Well learn something new everyday. I had never heard of a Pozidrive before.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

I have a bare vert frame on the floor to use when I do my roll cage install. I will see if I can get you the correct size. I have a broken lever on my 73 and just hate to peal the top back to get to that screw.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

I did check and looks like a #3 phillips fits to me. I did not try to take loose but seemed about the same size as the recess. I did take a couple pics will have to email from phone to post here.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

• 1 month later...

Update: Truss Bolt

Replaced the busted handle today. #3 Phillips ratchet.  PosiDrive bit might have worked on truss bolt but it was for a 1/4 ratchet and really needed a bit more torque.  Peeling the roof corner required removing the  8" rubber - 3 screws, completely removed rear metal bracket holding the front rubber seal - 8 screws. Remove staples at the corner of the canvas about 4 inches and unclip tension wire. Tension wire really made the difference. 

Drill old rivet out holding roof latch to handle and replace with barrel bolt.

Application of WD40 on assembly to loosen handle interconnect.

New handle first, truss bolts, keep thin washer, washer keeps truss bolts from binding.  Tape handle closed and replace the spring. Spring was a bit of a 'fuss' trying hook on the boss. 

Tack strip was beat and old used some fabric glue and staple back down.  Had roof halfway up.   

handle1.jpg

handle2.jpg

IMG_20200626_093139945.jpg

Edited by cv_72mustang