deck spoiler I.D

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machattack

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang mach 1 351c 4v auto fmx
1968 mustang gt 302 4v 4 speed
Can anyone tell me how to I.D the original O.E rear deck spoiler?  The brackets have I.D #s but is the spoiler actually marked? Trying to make sure the one Im looking at is O.E or not. 

Thx

The originals are a little thinner than the aftermarket ones, other than that it's hard to tell. I have a FoMoCo spoiler and the pedestals were the only thing with a number. I could be wrong, but I think this is right. The originals stay straighter too!!

Just dont nail it half way up the deck lid like some do, or set the wing the wrong way around  ...please just save us all from that look 

...if you do, 200 or so forum members will..."hunt you down and gut you like a fish"  :p

Muppet of the century award goes to Kermit here 

The Oscar goes to big red 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the original pedestals have a recess in the base with the Ford oval and part # cast in. I have a repop that came in a parts buy and the pedestals are flat on the bottom. 

If you do not have the dimensions or are not sure where to put the holes I have an original I can measure.

Spoilers and hood black just seem to go wrong for many.

Thanks guys! so.......... is the spoiler itself marked in any way for the originals ? I do have a layout for placement of the spoiler. It came from the forum here. Thanks for the offer David.

I have never seen a 71-73 mach 1 in Idaho in 35 years. If I nailed it half way up the deck lid my wife would correct me :) but nobody else in the state would know any different. I dont mind the mis-mounting so much as I would the gutting :)

If this helps, the repop that NPD and others sell is close to the original as far-off looks are concerned. However, the leading edge (fat edge) has a flat to it, where as the original is rounded. Some very poor repos I've seen are way too fat, have curved surfaces and just plain look wrong.

Another screw up I often see is they are put on backwards. These are for all intents a wing, so fat edge to the front.. As for numbers on the spoiler, I don't think mine dose, but the post are. You're looking for D1Z XXXXX . Watch out for the 69/70 spoiler, which I think is 2" narrower and the post are much taller. Another thing is the originals are fiber glass and quite heavy.

As for position dimensions, here is a copy from the 429 Mustang and Cougar mega site.

SpoilerLocation2.jpg

I do not think those match where mine is will have to check tomorrow. Have a 72 and a 72 with spoilers from factory here.
That's what is in the 429 megasite "Bible"

Mine had a repop NPD one when I bought the car. The side to side dimensions are the same 6 1/4", but the front to top bolt hole was 10 1/2 " so 1" further back. I have to think that the NPD repop was sold with a different dimension to get around copyright issues... or just could have been where the guy who put it figured it should be. Who knows!

The dimensions in the picture also match a friends car that has a factory installed spoiler.

Thank you Stanglover and DAVID.

When spoilers are not marked it makes it difficult to I.D them if you never seen one before.

The picture you sent is the same pic I have. I must have did some checking on the measurements a year and a half ago cause I wrote on my copy measurements check out. So I must have researched it. With all that said If you would measure yours David curiosity is getting to me. I believe curiosity killed the cat........hope I dont die from this one :) Thanks in Advance David! Im sure we all want to know.

The spoiler Im looking at is fiberglass and is foam filled. The front fat end is rounded well with a radius. No Flat spots across the leading edge. Its in really good shape with the brackets which are marked with the D1zz xxxx #. The guy wants $80.00 for it and swears its off a 72 mach. I gave him 25.00 to hold it for me until I got some answers from you genius's :)

Thanks guys for helping me out!!!

Car goes into paint Friday....... Yee Ha

Rod and Sally

I do not think those match where mine is will have to check tomorrow. Have a 72 and a 72 with spoilers from factory here.
Please let us know David. Thanks

Thank you Stanglover and DAVID. 

When spoilers are not marked it makes it difficult to I.D them if you never seen one before.

The  picture you sent is the same pic I have. I must have did some checking on the measurements a year and a half ago cause I wrote on my copy measurements check out. So I must have researched it.  With all that said If you would measure yours David curiosity is getting to me. I believe curiosity killed the cat........hope I dont die from this one :)  Thanks in Advance David!  Im sure we all want to know.

The spoiler Im looking at is fiberglass and is foam filled. The front fat end is rounded well with a radius. No Flat spots across the leading edge.  Its in really good shape with the brackets which are marked with the D1zz xxxx  #.  The guy wants $80.00 for it and swears its off a 72 mach. I gave him 25.00 to hold it for me until I got some answers from you genius's  :)

Thanks guys for helping me out!!!

Car goes into paint Friday....... Yee Ha

Rod and Sally
From what you're describing, I think you're safe with this one. And for 80 bucks, buy it anyway as you'll be stealing it! If it's wrong, sell it for a profit later.

I found mine at a swap meet. Long story short, this guy had a trailer full of rear axles. Sitting at the back was this ratty looking spoiler which I knew was a 71/73 just by looking at it. The post numbers were D1ZZ. It looked like it had been painted with TremClad and with a roller. How much? he said 90 bucks. I slapped 90 bucks in his hand so fast it'd make your head spin. A guy at another booth want 400 for one. After I cleaned off many layers of crappy paint, it was perfect underneath. A note on paint. Some say the black-out paint was slightly textured and low gloss (same for Argent), but unless you're doing a true concours car, not many will ever notice if you use a non-textured paint, but they will notice a wrong sheen. For mine, I chose SEM HotRod Black for all the black-outs. I have found this to be very durable over the last 6 years.

So, on a different subject, hood black-out. look for David's or 7173Vert's posts for correct placement and dimensions. Personally I hate to see hoods painted wrong...... including mine! 

Geoff.

Back