installing power steering box

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1, 351c 4v, C6 trans, grabber blue with white interior
Seems its finally getting warm enough in the garage so that I can finally reinstall my rebuilt power steering box. A question related to best way to refill pump and box.

Should I remove coil wire and bump engine some multiple times, while checking fluid level in the pump and refill as necessary to keep it full ? Or, loosen pump belt and turn the pump by hand, if possible, to circulate fluid to the steering box?

Since I dont know how long the refiling process takes, I was just wondering if there were any issues with bumping the engine and having gas getting pushed into the carb and cylinders. Also, the car isnt to the point where it would be fully started and driven until a few more weeks.

Also, from info read on here, I realize not to use any kind of prying against the power steering pump case that would dent it if belt needs to be retightened.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many methods. Some will result in a foamy mess of power steering fluid puking all over the place.

I’d support the front of the car so that there is no weight on the front wheels. Fill the reservoir, and with the engine off manually turn the steering wheel lock to lock several times. Check fluid level- top off- repeat until the fluid level does not drop.

Then I’d run the engine and repeat lock to lock- then check fluid level.

Just fill with type F trans fluid, start engine and turn the wheels all the way back and forth a couple times. If possible have wheels off ground. Stop engine and check level, add as needed and repeat till full. Takes a few times to get all the air out and make sure you have the dipstick in every time you start engine. When you get all the air bubbles out of the fluid, then it’s good to go.

Seems its finally getting warm enough in the garage so that I can finally reinstall my rebuilt power steering box. A question related to best way to refill pump and box.

Should I remove coil wire and bump engine some multiple times, while checking fluid level in the pump and refill as necessary to keep it full ? Or, loosen pump belt and turn the pump by hand, if possible, to circulate fluid to the steering box?

Since I dont know how long the refiling process takes, I was just wondering if there were any issues with bumping the engine and having gas getting pushed into the carb and cylinders.

Also, from info read on here, I realize not to use any kind of prying against the power steering pump case that would dent it if belt needs to be retightened.
Steve, when I've reinstalled the steering box, all I do is add sufficient FORD type "F" ATF fluid to the pump then start the engine. Before I do that, I like to raise the front wheels just off the ground to make it easier to turn lock to lock with the help of an 'assistant' (wife). With the engine warmed up and running, I get my 'assistant' to turn LTL several times to bleed the air out of the box while adding fluid carefully. It is important not to go too fast as air needs to escape (you'll make one hell of a mess if you don't). I take my time, but I've had no issue doing it this way. After I get most of the air out, I'll test drive it around the block, left and right turns and that should get any remaining air out. Check the fluid level when hot.

If the belt is not yet installed, you can turn the pulley by hand and that will at least get it started. As for tightening the belt, yeah I'm guilty of doing the pry bar bit on the case, but fortunately, i got lucky, no damage. Oh, forgot, before installing the box, I add as much fluid as possible through the return port, just to make sure there is some lubrication on the spool valve. I just feel better knowing it's not too dry in there.

That's what I do, other's may have different methods.

EDIT: Damn, I've got to learn to type faster, lol.

Since I dont know how long the refiling process takes, I was just wondering if there were any issues with bumping the engine and having gas getting pushed into the carb and cylinders.

Steve, when I've reinstalled the steering box, all I do is add sufficient FORD type "F" ATF fluid to the pump then start the engine. Before I do that, I like to raise the front wheels just off the ground to make it easier to turn lock to lock with the help of an 'assistant' (wife). With the engine warmed up and running, I get my 'assistant' to turn LTL several times to bleed the air out of the box while adding fluid carefully. It is important not to go too fast as air needs to escape (you'll make one hell of a mess if you don't). I take my time, but I've had no issue doing it this way. After I get most of the air out, I'll test drive it around the block, left and right turns and that should get any remaining air out. Check the fluid level when hot.

If the belt is not yet installed, you can turn the pulley by hand and that will at least get it started. As for tightening the belt, yeah I'm guilty of doing the pry bar bit on the case, but fortunately, i got lucky, no damage. Oh, forgot, before installing the box, I add as much fluid as possible through the return port, just to make sure there is some lubrication on the spool valve. I just feel better knowing it's not too dry in there.

Use power steering fluid, atf will foam up and sqeaul.

No, you don’t use power steering fluid, you use type F fluid.

Steve, when I've reinstalled the steering box, all I do is add sufficient FORD type "F" ATF fluid to the pump then start the engine.
 Sorry, Ford specify Type F ATF. And no, it does not foam up and squeal. If it's doing that, you likely have other problems such as air getting into the pump.

Edit; I just checked my 71 Ford manual which specifies C1AZ-19582-A which, after a Google search, translates to Type A ATF which was later replaced by Type F ATF.

Back