Need Map Light Assembly

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

je72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1 Original 3 speed manual
351 Cleveland 2V
Wilwood disc brakes all around manual
power steering
dakota digital gauge
classic auto air A/C Heater
Flowmaster Original 40 dual exhaust
Total control product front and rear sway bar
[url=https://ibb.co/HK66Nwz][img]https://i.ibb.co/Tw66Kj8/3217-DA70-D525-4439-8600-6-BD6-AD6-B9-ABF-1-105-c.jpg[/img][/url]
Hello, I am missing the center map light and assembly. Does anyone know where I can get one? Thank you.

Every once and a while one will come up on EBay. Usually 300.00 plus. They are kinda rare bird as well as is the harness from the door switch.

There are a couple of threads on here where folks have built there own. They look great and very practical but are not O.E if that matters to Ya?

Every once and a while one will come up on EBay. Usually 300.00 plus. They are kinda rare bird as well as is the harness from the door switch.

There are a couple of threads on here where folks have built there own. They look great and very practical but are not O.E if that matters to Ya?
I would like to buy a new one from the member that makes them to support him as well. I just don’t know how to to in contact with him. Looks like he hasn’t been on the forum in years.

I made my own version

Cut a piece of plastic to fit the hole, (pic for demo only, this was my first try, I cut a much better fitting piece 2nd time around).

49719757536_7087604989.jpg

Purchased Hella 3 position interior light

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2JA-002-931-031-HELLA-Interior-Light-Interior/302429667727?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

49719220683_66dd687b3d.jpg

Fitted a 39mm long LED bulb

This is how it currently looks (Car is stripped apart at the moment)

(Note much better fitting piece of black plastic, 2nd attempt)  ::thumb::

Finally, to stop any light show through I cut up a thin piece of plastic from an old VHS cassette box

This is glued in place on the inside of the centre pod,(not the black plastic light fitting).

Hope that helps?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not know if you are trying to make an original restore or if you just want the light. The light is part of the convenience group so if you car did not come with that would not have the light. 

The one on ebay is cheapest I have ever seen there. Somebody did cut the wires off no connector was 3 pin if I remember right. If you car did not have when new you will not have the wiring in place either.

Just by chance all 8 of my cars have them.

If I can’t buy a new one. That one will have to do.thank you.
well don't wait till it's gone....
Annnd it’s gone. Guess someone beat me to it

several times members have been referred to Scotty Strickland in NC who has many parts.  You can find him on facebook, message him and ask.  I did for a part last week and he had it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! That E-Bay listing didn't last long. Of course, jscott did issue a warning. You just don't see many of them for sale and when they do make an appearance, they are in the 2-3 hundred $ range. And as David mentioned the electrical connector (pigtail) was missing. If you do want to continue searching online, the Ford part# is D1ZZ-15650-A. Some will try to post the 71-73 Cougar as the same lamp. It's not the same and there were actually two different versions used between the XR-7 and the standard cat.

With Don C and 92GTS-R's posting you also have a couple of more choices if you wanted to try your hand at building something like the great-looking lamps they built.

I am disappointed that no one has been able to contact Rocket 366. According to his profile, it's been almost a year since he has been on this Forum. He built a prototype and sent it to Jason (73 pony), who reported that it fit and functioned perfectly.

One other choice which has already been mentioned is Scotty Strickland in NC. He has a salvage yard with many nice parts cars. You can contact/message him through Facebook.

NOS D1ZZ-15650-A lamp with correct "Pigtail" connector. The only ID is on tape attached to the wire.

I know this is an old thread. I am new to the site but this is my 3rd 71-73. I have the ability to reproduce impossible to find parts but nothing is going to be OEM. I recently produced a nice custom LED version for my 73 Convertible. On / off switch and completely hidden. Considering making a touch version as well. I do a lot with electronics, LED lighting as well. Have thought about offering a number of my designed parts and doing repairs on hard to find items. As an example I designed a repair for my AC control since it was broken. Apparently the Vacuum rotary control is no longer available. Currently making the plastic for the horn since its $100 from anywhere. I figure I design it for my car and can produce more if folks need stuff. Let me know if you are interested and if so I will get some photos of it installed. Not much to see but so much brighter than the original. 

Back