Temperature sending unit

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Everwood

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang convertible
i am having a little trouble getting the correct temperature sending unit. The temperature gauge didn't work when i got the car. i went to local auto parts and picked one up for the gauge application, (not the idiot light)-- and it works BUT it sends the needle to near hot position. I have checked and engine while running and temp is OK according to laser thermometer.   

i ordered another one from NPD and it doesn't work at all.

Is there something i am missing here.  I checked the gauge with test light and it lights with pulsing light which i am told is what it should do.

Wayne

Hello Everwood,

Sorry to hear that you're having difficulty finding the correct sender for your engine. You are at the mercy of the parts house keyboard warriors and other parts sources that sell whatever China placed in a box.

There continues to be some application confusion in the catalogs on these temp senders, so even some knowledgeable parts people aren't sure what to use. The DOZZ (SW-925) and the DOWY (SW-924) were both for temp gauge applications depending on engine size. The catalog number issue is from the mid-'70s forward when these two numbers remained in the system by constantly replacing each other. One year the DOZZ would be replaced by the DOWY, the following year the DOWY would be reinstated and the  DOZZ discontinued. Ford shows both  DOZZ and DOWY discontinued and replaced by the F1SZ-10884-A (SW-2328), but the D0ZZ-B (SW-925) is still available and in the Ford parts system. I have used both FISZ and DOZZ senders in my cars with temp gauges which included 351C, W, and 429 with no problems. I would try to use the original DOZZ style sender first since it is still available. Also, don't use any Teflon tape on the threads, as the sealant on the threads is Ford spec and will not hurt the grounding of the sender.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Everwood,

Sorry to hear that you're having difficulty finding the correct sender for your engine. You are at the mercy of the parts house keyboard warriors and other parts sources that sell whatever China placed in a box.

There continues to be some application confusion in the catalogs on these temp senders, so even some knowledgeable parts people aren't sure what to use. The DOZZ (SW-925) and the DOWY (SW-924) were both for temp gauge applications depending on engine size. The catalog number issue is from the mid-'70s forward these two numbers remained in the system by constantly replacing each other. One year the DOZZ would be replaced by the DOWY, the following year the DOWY would be reinstated and the  DOZZ discontinued. Ford shows both  DOZZ and DOWY discontinued and replaced by the F1SZ-10884-A (SW-2328), but the D0ZZ-B (SW-925) is still available and in the Ford parts system. I have used both FISZ and DOZZ senders in my cars with temp gauges which included 351C, W, and 429 with no problems. I would try to use the original DOZZ style sender first since it is still available. Also, don't use any Teflon tape on the threads, as the sealant on the threads is Ford spec and will not hurt the grounding of the sender.
Good info, ---- I did not realize the teflon tape would mess with the ground. Will keep that in mind also

Thanks.

Just throwing this out there- if somebody added the center gauges to your car perhaps they are feeding it w/ straight switched +12V and not feeding it through the IVR to knock the voltage down....

-Matt

Just throwing this out there- if somebody added the center gauges to your car perhaps they are feeding it w/ straight switched +12V and not feeding it through the IVR to knock the voltage down....

-Matt

I have original factory gauges and I did check with test light. It showed the pulsing light as if it were fed from the dash.

would this be correct then , I need one also, mine is a 351c with center temp gauge in triple pod

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-SW925-Radiator-Fan-Switch/dp/B000C5FUHG
As long as it is a genuine Ford Part (there is a lot of fake look-alike counterfeit junk on the market). You really have to trust/know who you are dealing with. The DOZZ (SW-925) has a red insulator and a Ford retail price of $48.91 The FISZ (SW-2328) has a green insulator and a Ford retail price of $27.58.  If you find something 10-15$ cheaper you should be ok. When they start offering 14.99 specials....Look Out!   :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are very good deals. Tasca has been in the Ford business since the early '50s, so parts "Made Right to Fit Right" is what they do! Rock Auto receives its Motorcraft inventory from Ford/Motorcraft warehouses so once again no counterfeit parts in look-alike boxes. I try to use genuine Ford parts when feasible, especially when dealing with sending units on my engines.

Don C, I give Tasca Ford 100% credit for getting the 428 CJ/SCJ program off the ground. Ford seemed to have little concern for any of us street people who drove/raced any 390 GT powered vehicles. You could count on getting your A$$ handed to you on a platter any time you ran a 396, 427 Chevy or 383, 440 Mopar. Those of us that were still going to school and working part-time at the local service station turning wrenches, could not afford a 427 Fairlane or Galaxie. There was just something missing between the 390 and the 427. When the 428's starting showing up on the street it was like a gift from the Heavens for us Ford guys.  Thank you Tasca Ford!!!

Everwood, sorry for the slight highjack of your original post....sometimes I tend to ramble on a little!  :D

Just a follow up post here to note that the  RockAuto sending unit with red threads seems to work fine. Factory gauge stays right in middle between hot and cold now. i feel much easier while driving her now because it does not read hot all the time.

thanks for all the help.

This forum rocks.

Wayne

Back