This sounds like out of hand if true. Australian rules.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
On one of the facebook forums one of the members works in a lab. He had read this info on what Australia is doing to imported and soon exported vehicles concerning asbestos. They about destroy the cars.

When he read about asbestos being in the undercoating on mustangs he did samples and yes asbestos was used as a filler. I was used in many plastic in the day and of course brake shoes, brake pads and clutches had asbestos in them.

Link to story. https://ferraris-online.com/australia-asbestos-and-collector-cars/?fbclid=IwAR3GpJoy61GgF3aGEASuNQM7whyQhAtSzjffqExlp-fogf1pORlKK4S3Zl8

Can any of our Australian members confirm this or it is just internet junk?

I bet this slows down the export of cars to Australia and runs the price up. Also the threat of being able to come get a car that had been exported from Australia if it are "culturally significant automobiles” they can come take them back even if exported.

What they stated about China is true. When I lived there I asked why there were no old cars. They told me it was not legal to have old cars in China. 

Crazy people.

Japan is similar to China as far as old cars are concerned, in part because of environmental pressures and by the desire to prop up domestic car production.

Fossil fuels are going to be greatly reduced in the next 20-50 years. Mass transportation and electric vehicles will be the replacement. There is far more opportunity for advancement in electrics, from motor efficiency to battery efficiency. And it is far easier to contain emissions at thousands power generation station than in hundreds of millions of tailpipes.

What Australia is doing is a bit over the top from an asbestos perspective when there are alternatives. I wonder what they will do when the vehicles they want to repatriate have asbestos parts.

uh hold on. is that undercoating as the stuff under the carpet or something sprayed on the bottom of the car? as I have started removing the interior on mine I am now a bit nervous about where I can expect asbestos....

Sprayed on the bottom of the car. Asbestos is a problem when particles are inhaled. Keep the dust down and wear a respirator.

Which, now that I think about it, is good advice when doing any restoration activity on an old car.

Last edited by a moderator:
My last visit down there proved all the unbelievable rumors I kept hearing. It's government out of control and coming to a country near you...

Sprayed on the bottom of the car.  Asbestos is a problem when particles are inhaled.  Keep the dust down and wear a respirator.

Which, now that I think about it, is good advice when doing any restoration activity on an old car.
When you say sprayed on the bottom of the car? do you mean under the carpets in the seam areas  OR Mixed in with the underseal on the underside of the car?

If we are cutting out floor pan sections and cutting through that underseal then this could be dangerous work?

If people knew how many items used to have asbestos in them that they are exposed to, they would curl up in a corner, hug their therapy puppy and sob uncontrollably. In your house you might have sheetrock, sheetrock joint compound, "popcorn" ceiling texture, floor tiles, wall and ceiling insulation, boiler insulation, caulking, wiring insulation, etc. How many times as car guys back in the day did we take an air hose and blow the dust out of brake drums while changing brakes? For undercoating, the "correct" method is hiring an asbestos removal company wearing moon suits. If you don't want to do that, wear a respirator, keep it sprayed down with water while you carefully scrap the material off, and don't grind or sand on it. It becomes a problem when the fibers become airborne, which is generally referred to as "disturbed".

Sprayed on the bottom of the car.  Asbestos is a problem when particles are inhaled.  Keep the dust down and wear a respirator.

When you say sprayed on the bottom of the car? do you mean under the carpets in the seam areas  OR Mixed in with the underseal on the underside of the car?

If we are cutting out floor pan sections and cutting through that underseal then this could be dangerous work?
On the underside of the car.

As much as I love ragging on at Aussies :poke: and taking the whizz outta them   :whistling: ( boy, they deserve it!    :D

on this occasion, in protest, I am going to sniff the underside of my car for a year and see if I develop any symptoms of Aussieasbestiosis  ::thumb::

I bet I dont. 

But it can never be as bad as Iwasbornanaussieplonkerititus  :p

p00bah ! ! ! ! :p

"I'm going straight to hell for this one" 

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I love ragging on at Aussies :poke: and taking the whizz outta them   :whistling: ( boy, they deserve it!    :D

on this occasion, in protest, I am going to sniff the underside of my car for a year and see if I develop any symptoms of Aussieasbestiosis  ::thumb::

I bet I dont. 

But it can never be as bad as Iwasbornanaussieplonkerititus  :p

p00bah ! ! ! ! :p

"I'm going straight to hell for this one" 
Just remember 1sostatic,

Before you start sniffing and prodding things with your probe, be sure you are wearing proper protection!! You just can't be too careful nowadays. We don't wont to lose one of our Brit's to Aussieasbestiosis!   :whistling:

Asbestos was a cheap organic substance that was used as a filler in lots of products. When you are cleaning any of the areas of your car with undercoat, sealer, brake dust, or clutch dust wear a good respirator. The particles of asbestos are not like the insulation that was like snow in the air. The tar and other things in the sealer make it much heavier. My home has asbestos shingles on the side of it. They are fine as long as you do not go out and grind them up into dust and breath them.

When you take the undercoat off try oven cleaner and pressure washer. If you still have the good cleaner it will melt it.

Sand blasting is another area you need to take more safety precautions with because of the silicon.

Back