Water leaking from my 1/4 windows

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirconmach1

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 351 Cleveland, 4 barrel, ram air, 4 speed, factory a/c, 77 k original miles in bright red with black.

Drive it like you stole it!
Anyone here ever have a problem with a leaking 1/4 window? I just got my 1971 Mach 1 back from the paint shop(picks to come soon). All new seals, weather stripping on the whole car. It rained last night and I noticed I still have water in the same spot. Has anyone here come up with a fix for this. It looks to me like a poor design from the get go. The gutter should of gone down to the bottom of the glass line. I have to fix this before the interior gets done. Any help out there? Thanks  :chin:

They probably used the foam tape on the roof rails. I ordered a 73 Mach 1 and the first day I owned it there was 2" of water in the rear floor. The roof rail leaked. There are several large rectangle holes that are there for the locating tabs on the aluminum trim to locate on. They used a foam tape at factory that sucks. I use 3-M strip caulk so it does not leak. The surface under there has the headliner, various panels from the roof and bows and if you have a vinyl roof also there that have to be sealed up. Here are some pics. You also have to seal the area where the roof goes up into the trim. 

I would never wash my car with running water, pressure washer or car wash. That just feeds the rust inside the cowl, doors and quarter panels. Just wipe off with clear water and micro fiber towels. No need to run wanter on it just feeds all the rust areas.

do you have any pictures

Great pics. Thanks for pointing out the areas that need to be addressed. So it was a design flaw from the get go like I thought. This happened from rain. I’ve been a Mustang fan for a long time. This is my first 1971. I also have a 1969 convertible. I guess it’s more of and a obsession than being a fan. Thanks for your input. :thankyouyellow:

When I had mine stripped and repainted, I paid special attention to the 1/4 windows. Mine did not leak along the top rail and in fact there was only a very small area on the floor that showed any leakage at all. The 1/4 windows have some adjustment to them to get them as close to the body as possible. Then my body and paint guy sealed the gap with some sort of automotive caulking sealant. No leaks is a good thing.

I may have a picture if I can find one suitable. If so, I'll edit this later.

My car has power windows so easier to adjust but that was not where the water got in on mine for sure. That surface is so screwed up under the roof rail the foam tape just does not cut it especially if you have a vinyl roof.
Power or roll down 1/4 windows would make a huge difference for sure. Fixed are easier to seal.

Back