73 Door repair

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M Beauchamp

Reaction score
My Car
1973 light blue convertible
351c 2V
Has anyone fixed doors this bad?

I can't find full door skins only the botton 9"

I cant find any interor door shell sheet metal

I would like any advise

I have the lower skin patch.

I plan on removing the fold in the patch area.

Then I plan on making the front and corner from scratch, weld in these patches as well as any other spots that need new metal.

Once this is done and set at the proper angle i will install the lower skin patch.

The other problem is the coragated seal trim piece.

can you find them some where?

100_2696.jpg

100_2736.jpg

I've been a bodyman for 25+ years and also agree those doors don't have much to work with, you would be way better off replacing them, just think of rust like cancer you can slow it down or maybe even get it to go into remission but it will come back at some point! It would suck after all the work you done to get it all pretty and painted than a year later have it come back.. just my $.2

Ok i conceed, I thought that i would give it a try first but after cleaning them up they are worst then they look in the pictures.

But isnt that always the case.

I would be interested in the California doors!

Ok i conceed, I thought that i would give it a try first but after cleaning them up they are worst then they look in the pictures.

But isnt that always the case.

I would be interested in the California doors!
I will take some pics this week. Its been awhile the last time I took a good look at them. Their rust free , but they have a fair shier of door dings. I pulled them off a 72 Grande. Mike.
image0-3.jpg

Hello M Beauchamp,

what have you done with your doors? Did you repair them?

My doors are very similar to yours. I intend to weld them.

A guy in the Czech Republic did repair his doors.

http://www.mach172.cz/1209EN.html

It would be very interesting to see also your pictures, if you welded the doors.

Thank you.

Martin

Hello M Beauchamp,

It would be very interesting to see also your pictures, if you welded the doors.

Thank you.

Martin
Where there is a will there is a way! That guy did some amazing metal work.

you can fix anything. the problem is the amount of time involved and labor cost. if you can handle the metal shaping and have the patients to make it look right then fix the doors.

It will cost more to repair them than it would to replace them plus they will not last. You will be redoing them in a couple of years anyway. Save a step! Save some money!

IMG_0822.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion it depends how easy access to a donnor door you have... USA guys can easily choose between repair or replace and that´s amazing because in the right step of the restoration, if you choose right, you save money and youdo the best thing for the procees of redoing your car...

But several things can be taken care off... Maybe you are a body man that dares to do any repair and your pockets are empty so you can repair the door and save a couple of houndrer bucks too, even if the best for the car in a long term is to replace in this specific situation...

I´m from Uruguay and my stang is the only sportsroof in my country... there are a couple of coupes here too but i just cant go to the jard or talk to a friend and get a cheap donor door so if that door was in here i almost certainly will repair it very happy :)

My bottom line opinion is that if you have access to get a good door, do it because is for sure, the best way to go but if for some reason, this donor door is not in your plans, your door can be repair and the resto can go on.... What i dont advise you to do is to waste money in repair just till notice that was not the way to go... then you´ll waste money again in a good door.... I´ve done that A LOT in the past! je

Hello M Beauchamp,

Thank you.

Martin
No I gave up and got some southern doors

That guy did a nice job on the doors

Last edited by a moderator:
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/pts/2719675983.html

Dont know if you saw this--I posted it over in the for sale section--Anyway doors were in pretty nice shape--thats about 2 and half hours from you. They are not mine.

Or get with MotorCity mustangs on this site--If he has a good set he'd only be 35 min from you and hes a good guy

Back