AC Component Help Needed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knn

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 (302)
Based on what I've read and what I could deduce from eBay, I bought the engine-side components (compressor, lateral, and pedestal brackets) to bring AC back to my 1971 Mach 1 H-code.

After quite a bit of profanity, I wasn't able to make it fit.  The holes in the pedestal bracket aligned with the holes in the heads just fine, but the lateral bracket holes wouldn't match up with the holes in the water pump (off by about a half-inch).  

Thinking that one of my brackets may be wrong, I re-bought all the components from a complete H-code Ranchero that I found at the local Pick-n-Pull.  Since I literally removed everything myself off a fully assembled 351c, I was sure this was all going to fit.  These have the same problem (off by about a half-inch).  

What am I missing?

Were there multiple style water pumps?  

The block is a standard D2AE-CA and the heads are 4V quench heads (I've tried to test fit with 2V heads and have the same problem).

Thanks in advance,

Nick

I have a couple AC cars if you can post a pic it will help. One is H code and one is Q code. Here are some pics can't see much.

Thanks David!  I'll try to grab some pics a little later today.

Based on what I've read and what I could deduce from eBay, I bought the engine-side components (compressor, lateral, and pedestal brackets) to bring AC back to my 1971 Mach 1 H-code.

After quite a bit of profanity, I wasn't able to make it fit.  The holes in the pedestal bracket aligned with the holes in the heads just fine, but the lateral bracket holes wouldn't match up with the holes in the water pump (off by about a half-inch).  

Thinking that one of my brackets may be wrong, I re-bought all the components from a complete H-code Ranchero that I found at the local Pick-n-Pull.  Since I literally removed everything myself off a fully assembled 351c, I was sure this was all going to fit.  These have the same problem (off by about a half-inch).  

What am I missing?

Were there multiple style water pumps?  

The block is a standard D2AE-CA and the heads are 4V quench heads (I've tried to test fit with 2V heads and have the same problem).

Thanks in advance,

Nick
Does anyone know the right part number for the 351c pedestal bracket?  I've seen two DOZA-2882-C and D1AA-2882-AB

Thanks,

Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Nick,

The bracket needed for your 71 H code Mustang is DOZZ-2882-B ID# (DOZA-2882-C). There was only one style of OE water pump for the 351C but there were several part number replacements and many ID#'s. I'll list the most common ID numbers as there are too many to list here. The original pump is DOAZ-8501-E (DOAE-D, DOOE-D) It was replaced by D2SZ-8501-A (D1AE-AA, D2AE-DA, D2SE-AA) Next replacement is D6AZ-8501-A (D4AE-AA, D7AE-CA-DA, D7LE-AA, D7TE-AA) and one more time...D9OZ-8501-B (D9OE-BA) This was the last of part number successions for this style pump which was used on the final 351M-400 engines installed in the 82 E and F series trucks.

I hope this barrage of numbers and David's pictures can help you can identify your components. Good luck with your project.

Hello Nick,

The bracket needed for your 71 H code Mustang is DOZZ-2882-B ID# (DOZA-2882-C). There was only one style of OE water pump for the 351C but there were several part number replacements and many ID#'s. I'll list the most common ID numbers as there are too many to list here. The original pump is DOAZ-8501-E (DOAE-D, DOOE-D) It was replaced by D2SZ-8501-A (D1AE-AA, D2AE-DA, D2SE-AA) Next replacement is D6AZ-8501-A (D4AE-AA, D7AE-CA-DA, D7LE-AA, D7TE-AA) and one more time...D9OZ-8501-B (D9OE-BA) This was the last of part number successions for this style pump which was used on the final 351M-400 engines installed in the 82 E and F series trucks.

I hope this barrage of numbers and David's pictures can help you can identify your components. Good luck with your project.
Thanks Steve, much appreciated!

I'm still baffled how I have the wrong pedestal bracket when I pulled it off an H-code Ranchero.  In any case, given that there was only one water pump style, the problem MUST be the pedestal.  Both of mine are 2882-AB.  Do you know what engine that goes on?

Also, anyone want to swap a 2882-C for a 2882-AB?

Thanks so much,

Nick

Steve is the man.... but here are a few more pics of my 73 H code that hopefully help.

I hope you don't mind, but these are going up on the shop wall as a reminder of where we need to get to.  Beautifully done!  

Any chance you remember the part number of that pedestal?

Thanks,

Nick

Steve is the man.... but here are a few more pics of my 73 H code that hopefully help.

Nevermind.  If I just opened my eyes, I would see that yours is a DOZA-2882-C.

Does anyone know what the 2882-AB goes to?

Nick, if you were to see the rest of rackerm's car you would understand why that engine looks like it is an hour old. As you stated, those are the pictures you need to frame and hang on your wall. No grease, dirt, or dust hiding anything. Shows good orientation on the brackets and hardware.

You said the donor car was a Ranchero. Do you know the year, engine code, and if it looked like the original or a replacement engine? I have checked all the way back to when the 351C was first installed in anything and cannot find any part with a DOZA-2882-AB engineering #. I found a D1AA-2882-AA, AB, which Is D1AZ-2882-A. The application for that part is for a vehicle with a 400 engine. The next closest was a D1AA-2882-BA which is a D1AZ-2882-B and is cataloged for the 71-72 full-size Ford with a 351W. Do you have a picture of the bracket with the DOZA-AB? It could be a mis-stamp or even a part that Ford released for a TSB or SSB repair and it never made it into the standard parts catalog. If so, it wouldn't be the first time the "Boys" in Detroit have done that to an unsuspecting Dealer!  :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The H code designation was used for both 2V 351 Windsors and Clevelands during the same years. To add to the confusion, I believe that all H codes in the Rancheros were Windsors and all M and Q codes were Clevelands during the same years. So, your H code components are likely from a 351 Windsor.

Nick, if you were to see the rest of rackerm's car you would understand why that engine looks like it is an hour old. As you stated, those are the pictures you need to frame and hang on your wall. No grease, dirt, or dust hiding anything. Shows good orientation on the brackets and hardware.

You said the donor car was a Ranchero. Do you know the year, engine code, and if it looked like the original or a replacement engine? I have checked all the way back to when the 351C was first installed in anything and cannot find any part with a DOZA-2882-AB engineering #. I found a D1AA-2882-AA, AB, which Is D1AZ-2882-A. The application for that part is for a vehicle with a 400 engine. The next closest was a D1AA-2882-BA which is a D1AZ-2882-B and is cataloged for the 71-72 full-size Ford with a 351W. Do you have a picture of the bracket with the DOZA-AB? It could be a mis-stamp or even a part that Ford released for a TSB or SSB repair and it never made it into the standard parts catalog. If so, it wouldn't be the first time the "Boys" in Detroit have done that to an unsuspecting Dealer!  :)
Steve,

Thanks for all the details, and sorry for the delay (I needed to get down to the garage to get some picks).  Here is a picture of the pedestals I have.  They are D1AA-2882-ABs.  

Now, this is starting to fit.  The 77 Ranchero was an H-code (from the VIN plate) but may have had the 351C swapped with a 400 sometime during its history.

create a link in html

Thanks a ton,

Nick

The H code designation was used for both 2V 351 Windsors and Clevelands during the same years. To add to the confusion, I believe that all H codes in the Rancheros were Windsors and all M and Q codes were Clevelands during the same years. So, your H code components are likely from a 351 Windsor.
Hi Don,

Thanks for the response.  The interesting part is my son and I both remember seeing the dry intake.  So we were pretty sure it was a Cleveland, not a Windsor.  But, then again, who knows what you're looking at, at the salvage yard.

Nick

Seriously, does anyone out there have a DOZA-2882-C they can part with?

Thanks,

Nick

Nick, the D1AA-2882-AB you posted a picture of is D1AZ-2882-A which is a 400 bracket. Your donor Ranchero could have been a 72/ or a victim of an engine change or Vin swap through a door or dash pad replacement. You are dealing with almost 50-year-old  vehicles, so who knows! The 400 has a higher deck height than a 351C so some brackets and other components orientate differently. You need the DOZA-2882-C, which is Ford part# DOZZ-2882-B. Sorry for the bad news. If you can't find one locally I would check with Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply or Mike @ Motor City Mustang. They are both Forum member/Vendors here who also have parts cars.

Once again...Good luck with your search!

Nick, the D1AA-2882-AB you posted a picture of is D1AZ-2882-A which is a 400 bracket. Your donor Ranchero could have been a 72/ or a victim of an engine change or Vin swap through a door or dash pad replacement. You are dealing with almost 50-year-old  vehicles, so who knows! The 400 has a higher deck height than a 351C so some brackets and other components orientate differently. You need the DOZA-2882-C, which is Ford part# DOZZ-2882-B. Sorry for the bad news. If you can't find one locally I would check with Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply or Mike @ Motor City Mustang. They are both Forum member/Vendors here who also have parts cars.

Once again...Good luck with your search!
Steve,

The thoroughness (and the kindness) of the help you provide is just amazing.

Thanks so much,

Nick

I think I have one. Let me check in the garage tonight.
That would be fantastic!  

Nick

I'm trying to make headway while the whole world seems to have stopped.

Back