Harbor Freight jack stand recall issued

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info.  My car is setting on a set of the 6 tons right now.  Need  to check the numbers in the morning.  Hope that they are not part of the recall.  Been crawling under that thing on and off  for the past 3 years.

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

Thanks for the info.........very considerate of you!  WEW..... not mine, thank goodness. I did notice my 3 ton stands are grey but the picture shows 3 ton red and 6 ton grey. Might be another identifier if your #s are gone.

Peace  :-)

Just checked and I do have the recall models.  Called Harbor Freight and they are out of the replacements right now.  Will give gift card as mentioned in recall.  Just finishred up the exhaust so I'm done under the car.  Thankfully I survived the past 3 years working under the car without a mishap.

20200520-101402-resized.jpg

upload image

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

Thanks for the info. I've been using the 3 ton recalled ones over the past 3 or so years.  Usually when I have to crawl way underneath, I also put an additional set of Sears 3 ton stands to make it safer.

Interestingly enough, the local HF here (upstate NY) has red 6 ton stands for $50, labeled as 'NEW' and grey 6 ton stands for $40, labeled as 'CLEARANCE'. Wonder what those are??

If I'm buying new ones, what are some brands that are better quality and recommended?

Thanks for the info. I've also been using the 6 ton recalled ones over the past 3 or so years.  Usually when I have to crawl way underneath, I also put an additional set of Sears 3 ton stands to make it safer.

Interestingly enough, the local HF here (upstate NY) has red 6 ton stands for $50, labeled as 'NEW' and grey 6 ton stands for $40, labeled as 'CLEARANCE'. Wonder what those are??

If I'm buying new ones, what are some brands that are better quality and recommended?

I have a pair of Hein-Werner Automotive 6 ton Jack Stands and they are clearly beefier and better made than the other ones I have.

I had a pair of the 6 ton harbor freight ones I bought about 3 years ago.  I got rid of them after taking a close look at the sawtooth part of the casting that engages the pawl.  The casting was so poor there were many heights that you could set it where the pawl wouldn’t engage fully.

I am shocked. No, not really. Harbor freight sucks. I never buy their products. Why: China.

• Like 1

I haven't had any issues with mine putting the Mustang up, but I think I'll be looking into replacing them anyway, because: Harbor Freight.

I'm going to be need taller ones anyway since I'll be needing to put my Jeep up on 'em now and then - it's got a little farther to fall than Frank does. ;)

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

I haven't had any issues with mine putting the Mustang up, but I think I'll be looking into replacing them anyway, because: Harbor Freight.

I'm going to be need taller ones anyway since I'll be needing to put my Jeep up on 'em now and then - it's got a little farther to fall than Frank does. ;)

You need to just go ahead and put in a lift or if you do not have enough ceiling height go with a pit in the floor with a cover when not in use. I use my 2 post lift when I am just wiping the car down saves my acing neck and back. 

I looked at the stands I have and not HF but also cheap ones. I did notice I have never bent the tabs over on the side that they say to bend.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

I am shocked. No, not really. Harbor freight sucks. I never buy their products. Why: China.

Trouble is, a lot of stuff comes from China.

Since I'd like to buy a new set, with better quality, I'm trying to find jack stands made in the US and they are in short supply or really expensive. I dont mind paying more since I really dont want the car to fall on me when I'm under it.

I have seen some jack stands that have an extra pin that is inserted to keep the ratchet from moviing, so they look safer.

• Like 1

Thank you very much (Horsin Around) for posting this information. We have a total of four of the recalled jack stands in the family. Chuck

• Like 2

You need to just go ahead and put in a lift or if you do not have enough ceiling height go with a pit in the floor with a cover when not in use. I use my 2 post lift when I am just wiping the car down saves my acing neck and back. 

I looked at the stands I have and not HF but also cheap ones. I did notice I have never bent the tabs over on the side that they say to bend.

Not everybody lives in the boonies and has a giant building for their garage with enough space for their toys and to become the next Booster King - nor, I'm sure, would everybody want to (Me, for one - the Carolinas are pretty and nice to visit... but they're all yours).  Some (most) of us have 1-, 2- or 3-car garages attached to our homes with 9-foot average ceilings.  Sure, I suppose I could raise the ceiling, but doing that with enough clearance for a vehicle on a lift under a pitched roof turns my 2-car garage into a 1-slot shop (I suppose I could stuff 2 cars in if I stack 'em, but why would I want to?).  Being 6'5", raising the ceiling a couple feet just won't cut it - that lift needs to run up to full height sometimes... and with a 6-tall Jeep or Ram pick-up on top of it, there's 12 feet right there.  I'd wager the peak on the roof over my garage isn't even 16 feet - not enough room for a lift to run up to full height, defeating the purpose.  Digging a pit in a 22x24 two-car garage space in a residential area is also one of the single most 'not smart' ideas I've heard in a LONG time.

Besides, I have the Auto Hobby Shop on the base pretty much whenever I need it - which makes me more fortunate than most because I actually DO have a lift at my disposal.

Geez - I just mentioned needing a new set of jack stands (just like most others on this thread), and now the 'sage advice' is saying I need a lift or a pit in my residential 2-car garage.

Wow.  Talk about 'out of touch.'

• Like 1

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

I have to agree with David. Lift is so convenient. I know several guys that have them in their two car attached garages.

• Like 1

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

I have to agree with David. Lift is so convenient. I know several guys that have them in their two car attached garages.

How do you like yours?  

:whistling:

I'm not saying it's not doable, just not so much for the average guy.  I haven't even used my jack stands probably 3 times since I bought them in 2014.  Granted, I used the lift at the shop a few times for the things I needed to do, but to dump North of $8K in construction costs plus the cost of the lift itself just to use it now and then is not practical or on most people's to do list.... especially not when we're talking about simply replacing a set of cheap jack stands.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

I love my lift. Use it almost daily. 4 post drive on with a sliding trolley jack.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

I love my lift. Use it almost daily. 4 post drive on with a sliding trolley jack.

That's awesome!  Drive-on lifts with trolley jacks are the best!  ::thumb::

Even if I were retired and had a lift in my garage, I wouldn't use it even almost daily - maybe monthly... maybe not even that often.  Working on cars is fun, but not something I want [or need] to do on a daily basis.

Yours isn't by chance in a 2-car residential garage with 9-foot ceilings is it?  If so, I'd love to see some pics with a car in the air and how that all works.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Mine is the my shop behind my house. I built the shop in 2017. One of our members on here recently posted pics of his drive on in a residential garage regular ceiling height with cars stacked.

Here is the thread..

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-finally--35826?highlight=finally

- Jason

Yeah, I don't have anywhere near that amount of ceiling.  My Jeep is 6'6", barely squeezes through the door, and the door opening is roughly a foot lower than the ceiling - so I have something more like an 8 foot ceiling (I keep forgetting I can easily flat-foot touch an 8-foot ceiling... not so much a 9 footer).  Even a tall set of jack stands would have the roof of the Jeep up against the ceiling for any kind of height over a foot (just enough elevation to take the wheels off).  Fortunately, I don't need any more than that, since all of the underneath stuff has been done.  Even changing out a transmission or transfer case doesn't need a lift, let alone fluid changes.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Trouble is, a lot of stuff comes from China.

Since I'd like to buy a new set, with better quality, I'm trying to find jack stands made in the US and they are in short supply or really expensive. I dont mind paying more since I really dont want the car to fall on me when I'm under it.

I have seen some jack stands that have an extra pin that is inserted to keep the ratchet from moviing, so they look safer.

I understand it is very difficult to avoid Chinese made anything these days. I personally have many older tools from the days when you could buy American. I would rather buy old American made jack stands from someone than buy some of the dangerous junk that is out there. I am just glad no-one including yourself has gotten hurt or killed. There is a lot of used stuff out there. 

Best, Ron

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW - my HF jack stands are NOT part of the lot listed under the recall.

Doesn't mean I'm going to be any less careful when using them, of course, but at least they're not the ones being recalled.   :cool:

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Not everybody lives in the boonies and has a giant building for their garage with enough space for their toys and to become the next Booster King - nor, I'm sure, would everybody want to (Me, for one - the Carolinas are pretty and nice to visit... but they're all yours).  Some (most) of us have 1-, 2- or 3-car garages attached to our homes with 9-foot average ceilings.  Sure, I suppose I could raise the ceiling, but doing that with enough clearance for a vehicle on a lift under a pitched roof turns my 2-car garage into a 1-slot shop (I suppose I could stuff 2 cars in if I stack 'em, but why would I want to?).  Being 6'5", raising the ceiling a couple feet just won't cut it - that lift needs to run up to full height sometimes... and with a 6-tall Jeep or Ram pick-up on top of it, there's 12 feet right there.  I'd wager the peak on the roof over my garage isn't even 16 feet - not enough room for a lift to run up to full height, defeating the purpose.  Digging a pit in a 22x24 two-car garage space in a residential area is also one of the single most 'not smart' ideas I've heard in a LONG time.

Besides, I have the Auto Hobby Shop on the base pretty much whenever I need it - which makes me more fortunate than most because I actually DO have a lift at my disposal.

Geez - I just mentioned needing a new set of jack stands (just like most others on this thread), and now the 'sage advice' is saying I need a lift or a pit in my residential 2-car garage.

Wow.  Talk about 'out of touch.'

There is a natural progression. I changed rear end in middle of road with two bumper jacks as a teenager. Then got me a set of ramps, then jack stands. Then Dad felt sorry for me because I broke so many transmissions he dug the pit in the garage. Could change a transmission in under an hour by myself and no jacks or stands. Buil a pole barn and gather a few cars.

Then you get married , engineering job and kids and no need for a garage except to change the oil no way you going to build a car. No time and no money.

Then wife and kids gone and you can do what you want when you want. So why not have a lift when you cannot bend over anymore, lol. 

I use the jack stands to just get the tires off the floor now days. Not going to fall on me no matter what. Heck I used more concrete blocks for jack stands than I have jack stands. 

Oh by the way I do not live in the Bonnies. I live in what is usually in the top ten paces to retire in the U.S.A. You can buy the land across the road from me for $35,000 an acre if you buy 30 acres. I have over 3,500 cars a day pass my home according to DOT last survey. Wish I did live in the Boonies every time I use to shoot guns sheriff would show up but I had a range and they could not say anything. He would just say we had a shots fired call and have to come look. He would tell me I was good and want to look at the rifles.

I probably have less in all my cars than you guys do in one. I never had any money if China had not paid for my garage and several cars I would not have them.

Oh BTW what does you digging a pit in your garage have anything to do with your neighbors or community. Do they not allow basements?

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

I have actually done that to get transmission out of car and I was a dumb fearless teenager, lol. That is what I mean about natural progression.

David

And, it's called natural selection when the supports fail and a gene or two are taken out of service.

• Like 1

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein