Strange hole in Engine block

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raeovine

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
Bright Green Gold Metallic
Avocado Vinyl Interior
351c 2v
Hi.  Sorry to bother this group but I need confirmation on a hole I found in the engine block on my 351 Cleveland out of my 1973 Mach 1.  I am replacing the intake manifold gaskets due to leaking and upon inspecting the block, at the front I notice this strange hole.  Based on how the metal is shaped, it looks like damage from something.  I have not been able to see a clear picture of the inside front of the engine block to confirm if I have a much bigger problem than my leaking manifold gasket.

Thanks David! I was getting nervous that the block was damaged and pretty depressed to be honest.

To help put your mind at ease, here is a pic of a drain hole in my 71 D0AE-L block. This number is above where the starter goes if you were unaware. Also a pic of a '70 "J" block  that has drain holes at the back of the block. I'm not sure of the exact reason, but it was changed in early 71 to the current version you have. 

My casting number and date code.

1971 "L" block

1970 "J" block

Last edited by a moderator:
Back