Replace/fix Autolite 2100, difference between manual trans / automatic trans?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IstoT

Reaction score
Howdy,

My good old original Autolite 2100 carburetor started to leak from throttle shaft.

My plans for this problem are..

1. fix leak with brass bushing (cheapest)

2. Buy new or used Autolite 2100 (or similar) (second cheapest)

3. If I could have money (which I don't) get example Edelbrox system to replace these

I have looked carburetor from Rockauto (Autoline C862A or) but at RockAuto descriptions in Autoline C852 is that it's for manual trans and in the C862A is automatic trans. My carburetor model (D1OF-PA) is found at C862A extra info thought..so with that information I think C862A is right for me. But I like to be sure so is there any difference at Autolite 2100 carburetor between manual trans and automatic trans?

Here is RockAuto info of those Autoline carburetors.

AUTOLINE C862A {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Ford 2 Barrel

Automatic trans.; Base Model; Grande; Mach 1; 2BBL; Engine VIN H; Cleveland built; F2-2100

AUTOLINE C852 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Ford 2 Barrel

Manual trans.; Base Model; Grande; Mach 1; 2BBL; Engine VIN H; F2-2100; Windsor built

Or is there other carburetor that will work at original manifold straight from packet?

Last edited by a moderator:
The carburetor for automatic transmission cars has the lever for the kickdown rod connection, manual transmission cars do not have have the kickdown lever.

Holley 2300 carburetors will fit your car, also.

Howdy,

My good old original Autolite 2100 carburetor started to leak from throttle shaft.

My plans for this problem are..

1. fix leak with brass bushing (cheapest)

2. Buy new or used Autolite 2100 (or similar) (second cheapest)

3. If I could have money (which I don't) get example Edelbrox system to replace these

I have looked carburetor from Rockauto (Autoline C862A or) but at RockAuto descriptions in Autoline C852 is that it's for manual trans and in the C862A is automatic trans. My carburetor model (D1OF-PA) is found at C862A extra info thought..so with that information I think C862A is right for me. But I like to be sure so is there any difference at Autolite 2100 carburetor between manual trans and automatic trans?

Here is RockAuto info of those Autoline carburetors.

AUTOLINE C862A {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Ford 2 Barrel

Automatic trans.; Base Model; Grandé; Mach 1; 2BBL; Engine VIN H; Cleveland built; F2-2100

AUTOLINE C852 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Ford 2 Barrel

Manual trans.; Base Model; Grandé; Mach 1; 2BBL; Engine VIN H; F2-2100; Windsor built

Or is there other carburetor that will work at original manifold straight from packet?
I would stay with the Autolite. It matches best to your motor. 

If it isn't that urgent, I'm travelling and will be back home next Friday, I can send you the two brass bushings and a reamer by mail. Just send me back the reamer after repair is done.

If this suits your plannings, please let me know your address anf your phone number via PN

Cheers Frank

I would stay with the Autolite. It matches best to your motor. 

If it isn't that urgent, I'm travelling and will be back home next Friday, I can send you the two brass bushings and a reamer by mail. Just send me back the reamer after repair is done.

If this suits your plannings, please let me know your address anf your phone number via PN

Cheers Frank
Well..that would be helpfull but if you can help me and check is this ebay item right to do this brass bushing fix then I will buy it and we don't need to send reamer via post.

Throttle Shaft Bushing Repair Kit

Just wondering..can Autolite 2150 type carburetor installed on 71 mustang? There is "weird" hose plug at top of plate. These can be bought very cheap from ebay...I know..you can't get good stuff cheap but this under 100$ price makes me think..

That's a bowl vent, for the emissions systems on the later cars.

FWIW, if you have fuel leaking out the throttle shafts, you need to check your fuel level in the bowls and possibly replace the needle and seat assembly. Fuel won't leak out the shafts with the car running, due to the manifold vacuum. It will leak after shut off if the fuel level is too high, or the carburetor heat soaks and dribbles fuel out the boosters.

That's a bowl vent, for the emissions systems on the later cars.

FWIW, if you have fuel leaking out the throttle shafts, you need to check your fuel level in the bowls and possibly replace the needle and seat assembly. Fuel won't leak out the shafts with the car running, due to the manifold vacuum. It will leak after shut off if the fuel level is too high, or the carburetor heat soaks and dribbles fuel  out the boosters.
Thx your info...this will be good explain..I changed last summer repair kit and it could be that I accidentally made something to fuel level. That fuel level can checked without removing carburetor. But now I need to find information to check that fuel level to right height. I have that 2100 manual and seems that there somekind of float gauge which I don't have. Is there any other way to check that level is right?

Edit: Ok..now I understand why there was L-shape paper with numbers...didn't read the manual back then...so seems that I need to cut short end from 16 (351C) and then use this paper tool to check level...:)

Edit2: After first engine run at parking place I didn't see or smelled any leak (I watched 20 min). But then I made test drive and after some time I was not sure anymore does it smell or doesn't it. I need to make another test tomorrow or so to be sure it helped. It looked promising but I'm not 100% sure..

Edit3: Today I warmed up engine at parking place and removed air filter to have better look for carb. After 20min..no leak or smell. I made test drive and after 10min nos smell. After 30min I made last check..there was little smell but..hey..this is old car and it smells little..so I can't say that there is any more leaks on carb.

So thx help....also I learned lot of different options to use old intake and how this Autolite can be repaired..and what can be problems with it.

After running longer there is still that fuel smell after sometime..but can't see any leaks only what I can see is rippling air from those  two "pipes" at top of Bowl cover..and it smells fuel. I prolly need to check carburetor one more time after I get new rebuild kit in few days. Before that I just drive...

Back