Hello from Atlanta GA!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach1. 351-2V H-Code.
Hello,

I found this group while searching Youtube videos on how to restore a 73 Mach 1.  My son and I are tackling this project (since he's stuck at home from college #GODAWGS!, with no summer job due to the shelter in place), we figured is a good father and son project.  Is our 1st restoration so any help/advice will be GREATLY appreciated it!  All we have is time and a 19 year old's energy :)

Car's background:

The car is a 1 owner car with 42K original miles on it purchased by the original owner while he was in college (we have the original title and dealer paper work where it was purchased for $4400).  The car has been sitting for a while.  Got everything running and cleaned up. Replaced all the wiring, brakes, tires...now we are doing the body work. There's not much rust and the body seems to be in great shape.  The only piece I think we have to replace is the rear light panel where is rusted thru...

Not looking to do do a full frame off show quality restoration, just a daily driver.  My son and I started the take down process and thinking about sanding the old paint off ourselves to bare metal (Thoughts on this? advice?  we are going to use a a DA sander along with hand sanding)...will repaint to original 2B red with the red/black hood...

If any one is around the Athens/Jefferson area, and have some time, would love to get some help/advice...

Thanks in advance!

Sean

upload image

BTW, eBay, National Parts Depot, CJ Pony Parts and Summit Racing will start you off very well with your parts needs.

Welcome to the Forum from North Carolina. I am an original owner of a 1973 Mustang and did a complete tear down, clean and detail and back together last year. You will need to learn the search function on the Form you can find most questions answered here.

Couple quick notes you might not know about. You can order a Marti report that gives you all the details about your car. Noticed your tail light broken. Daniel Carpenter makes perfect replacements and he also has much better gaskets for them. He does not sell direct but NPD and others usually list his name with his parts. That is why the tail light panel rusted the factory foam gaskets always hold water. 

Every Mustang either came with a long console or a short console just around the shifter. I also see you have a three spoke steering wheel. If you remove the cover it should have a rim blow horn in the rim of the wheel.

If you are ever in the area stop by I have 8, 1972 & 1973 Mustangs. We have some great shows in the area and the North Georgia Mustang club has their yearly show in Maggie Valley, N.C. every year. I am in Hendersonville, NC.

Here is my 73 one owner. Short video when I took to display at the Mustang Owner's Museum last year.

Preview video-1555166327 (3).mp4

Attachments

• Preview video-1555166327 (3).mp4
    3.8 MB
welcome from Ellijay......I just got into my '72 a few months ago myself. I have a couple of spare parts if you need any, like a decent set of tail lights cheap. Not sure how much help I could be as I am a newbie and just starting to learn.

Let me add another Welcome from Ohio - Looks like a good foundation for a restoration. I am glad to hear you plan to drive it. There aren't many of the big-body mustangs out there, and these are my favorites. Once you get it on the road,you will be amazed at how people respond to seeing these cars on the road. You will enjoy driving it and seeing the reactions people have to these cars.

Welcome from Western Australia

Nice looking vehicle especially the color!

As Kilgon says best to use a good paint stripper then clean up with a sander but don't spend too much time with a coarse grit sandpaper in one area as not only will you create heat potentially warping the metal you will also remove some metal, use a slower speed also

Will look great with fresh paint and stripes

Welcome to the Forum from North Carolina. I am an original owner of a 1973 Mustang and did a complete tear down, clean and detail and back together last year. You will need to learn the search function on the Form you can find most questions answered here.

Couple quick notes you might not know about. You can order a Marti report that gives you all the details about your car. Noticed your tail light broken. Daniel Carpenter makes perfect replacements and he also has much better gaskets for them. He does not sell direct but NPD and others usually list his name with his parts. That is why the tail light panel rusted the factory foam gaskets always hold water. 

Every Mustang either came with a long console or a short console just around the shifter. I also see you have a three spoke steering wheel. If you remove the cover it should have a rim blow horn in the rim of the wheel.

If you are ever in the area stop by I have 8, 1972 & 1973 Mustangs. We have some great shows in the area and the North Georgia Mustang club has their yearly show in Maggie Valley, N.C. every year. I am in Hendersonville, NC.

Here is my 73 one owner. Short video when I took to display at the Mustang Owner's Museum last year.
Thanks for the great info!  we used to live in Durham (RTP) and belonged to the Hearts to Carolina Mustang Club there with my 07 GT500 and 68 Fastback.

Welcome from the Martinez / Augusta Georgia area. I think you are about an hour or so from me, I would love to stop through some time to see your project. I will be driving by there this weekend going to a wedding but maybe in the future, we can link up. Good luck, you came to the right forum for assistance.

Tom

Back