oil pan front and rear rubber seals

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 "Q Code"
Does anyone provide an oil pan gasket that the front and rear rubber pieces actually fit?  I have been changing the gasket since yesterday, with 2 different sets, both bought locally at 2 different parts stores and both of the rubber seals seem to be slightly too long. They do not fit properly in the slots and if the ends are placed in the slot at the block, the arch of the rubber seal is completely out of the slot. The originals that I removed were not like this, they fit very snug. Any thoughts on this? Thanks. 

Tom

What engine are you working on? I replaced pan gasket on my Q 351 last year with a Fel Pro and did not have issue. I have 4 cut off studs to keep the gasket on block. I did mine out of the car. If you are in the car I would glue the gasket to pan and go up that way. Studs can also help guide you up and keep all in place.

Thanks David for your reply. The engine is 351 C 2v, I have no issues with the cork gaskets at all, it is only the rubber end pieces. At the end of them is a section that fits in the slot at the bottom of the block near where the cork gasket ends are. I fit the rubber gasket into that slot and the remainder of the gasket arch sits almost completely outside of the slotted area that it is supposed to ride in. Both front and back do this and I have tried to swap them around to see if that made a difference, it did not. I have 2 sets of gaskets, one fel-pro and on of the mahle brand. Both are like this. I am hoping to find one that the end gaskets fit properly into the slot that they ride in and not have over half of the arch above it. It just looks like both are too long. I may try to glue the rubber ends down as much as I can then let it cure overnight. Thanks.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
double and triple check your gasket numbers, they should not be that sloppy in fitment.  I've seen poor fit before though.  I half way am tempted to make my own with gasket maker like is done with intake gaskets on the front and rear

double and triple check your gasket numbers, they should not be that sloppy in fitment.  I've seen poor fit before though.  I half way am tempted to make my own with gasket maker like is done with intake gaskets on the front and rear
Yeah, especially with 351 engines: there are two flavors: Vanilla (Windsor) and Chocolate (Cleveland).  Make sure you got the right ice cream!

My bad, it appears RockAuto lied to me. They showed a that OS30214T fit Cleveland and Windsor. And I just assumed that maybe the gasket was the same between the 2 engines. I guess I will be looking for a new gasket for mine before I pull it out. 

As good as RockAuto is, some of their cataloging can get some numbers and listings tangled. But you can also get the once over when you visit the key board warrior at your local parts house. Some catalogs have 302 Windsor, which to them means the 351 Windsor is the same. Some have no idea what a 351 Cleveland is other than its a place in Ohio!     

I have always used Ford (When they were available) or Fel Pro gaskets. The front and rear seals are the same size on the 351C. The 351W's have different size front and rear rubber seals. Although not in every non-Ford pan gasket set I have used, some have actually used the Ford end seals in their sets. If so, they would be marked DOAE-6723-A or B.

The OS30227C in their listing appears to be the correct 351C gasket set. The DOAZ-6781-A  in their listing is the original Ford part# that was replaced by DOAZ-6781-D.

Back