Deluxe Door Panels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theflip44

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 - Wimbledon White
Hey guys,

Longtime stalker on the boards here. I have a question about the deluxe door panels. I bought a pair of them on eBay for $150 buy-it-now (w/ free shipping). I troll eBay for deals and just happened to run into these an hour after they were posted. I just finished paint and interior is last on the list, but I could not resist. The guy said they were brand new, but he had purchased them a while back and he could not remember from where. I was a bit dubious, but I couldnt pass up on the savings. Well, they arrived today and I was shocked. He mailed them to me in the original beat up box and when I opened them up . . . they were still sealed in the plastic. BONUS! They were made by Mustang Market.

My question is what do y'all know about this brand? Regardless, to say I am pumped would be an understatement. I am a grad student, so every dollar counts. They look to be a couple years old, but hell they look awesome.

1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

Longtime stalker on the boards here. I have a question about the deluxe door panels. I bought a pair of them on eBay for $150 buy-it-now (w/ free shipping). I troll eBay for deals and just happened to run into these an hour after they were posted. I just finished paint and interior is last on the list, but I could not resist. The guy said they were brand new, but he had purchased them a while back and he could not remember from where. I was a bit dubious, but I couldnt pass up on the savings. Well, they arrived today and I was shocked. He mailed them to me in the original beat up box and when I opened them up . . . they were still sealed in the plastic. BONUS! They were made by Mustang Market.

My question is what do y'all know about this brand? Regardless, to say I am pumped would be an understatement. I am a grad student, so every dollar counts. They look to be a couple years old, but hell they look awesome.
They don't match your socks. You should send them to me (the panels, not the socks).

I don't know much about that specific brand. I have some aftermarket, some of the first that were available. Fit was pretty good. I did break off a couple of the plastic tabs when I went to remove one but it still hold onto the door just fine.

I hope I do not burst your bubble. You paid about they are worth in my opinion. I bought a set at full price and was pretty disappointed. They are plastic and you have to do a lot of cutting and drilling. Getting the chrome/weatherstripping off your original panels and "stapled" on these takes a very long time. Then there are the factory clips that when mounted properly still do not hold very well and they can be seen through the carpet and make a mark that makes a bump that is clearly visible on the thinner parts of the panel. So, plan to spend about 6-8 hours getting them to fit and I ended up using double sided tape for one just to get it to hold onto the door. So, am I very disappointed in them. There's a guy in Arizona on Ebay that will recover your original panels. He's not cheap but it's not that much more than paying full price for these crappy repro ones. You may not be a picky as me but after spending hours working on them I decided to go another route. So, does anyone need a pair of white panels with blue carpet?

I'll sell them for cheaply as you got your pair.

I'll update everyone on how the recovering goes. It's about $400 for the pair but they guy says he will take off all the hardware and put it back on. Believe me - the staples on the top are a PITA to remove, I've attached pics of the repro ones. While they may look nice, take a look at the gap on the drivers side and the bump in the closeup.

Hey guys,

They don't match your socks. You should send them to me (the panels, not the socks).

I don't know much about that specific brand. I have some aftermarket, some of the first that were available. Fit was pretty good. I did break off a couple of the plastic tabs when I went to remove one but it still hold onto the door just fine.
doorpanles 001.jpgdoorpanles 002.jpgdoorpanles 003.jpg

Hey guys,

Got a set of panels from one of this Site's sponsors a few years ago and they were around double what you paid. Looks like your panels came with the carpet, is it a good match for your interior? Also you will need the pull handle and woodgrain insert. That will cost extra but I know you saved money. Good Pick.

mike

'71 Grande

Hey guys,

Got a set of panels from one of this Site's sponsors a few years ago and they were around double what you paid. Looks like your panels came with the carpet, is it a good match for your interior? Also you will need the pull handle and woodgrain insert. That will cost extra but I know you saved money. Good Pick.

mike

'71 Grande
Nobody sells the panels with all the hardware. You need to reuse the handles, wood grain panel, chrome trim strip. door knob grommets, and the weatherstripping and thin stainless strip. If some one made decent panels with all that included they would run at least $750 a pair. I'd pay $1,000 for a NOS pair if I could find them. Hopefully the recovering will be worth it.

Hey guys,

mike

'71 Grande
Yep, it is a black and white interior so the match is perfect. I have all the original parts from the original panels. The panels themselves are ripped to shreds and are water-damaged. This is a daily-driver restoration, so I am not going to get into any arguments or quibbles about concours or not. I was just looking for some knowledge about my brand panel. Thanks Mike!

Dont know what brand my uncle bought but they were a terrible fit. They definitely sucked. But maybe yours will be better and as long as you are happy with them that all that matters. Cause when its all said and done you are the only person you have to please with the car.

I have seen this set on line for $300/pair which is a really good price, but i noticed that you have to cut the handle youself.

I would like to hear or see how they fit?

I have seen this set on line for $300/pair which is a really good price, but i noticed that you have to cut the handle youself.

As I stated - if they are plastic in my experience they might fit like sh*&. No offense to the vendors or buyers - the manufacturer tried and they look good - you just have to accept that they are not far from perfect. I could live with the passenger side - it's not bad except for the dimples but the drivers side fit is unacceptable to me.

According to the Restorer doing work on my Grande, he is not aware of ANY great door panels for our '71 - '73 Mustang. He notes that he spent hours "building" and making mine work "up to his standards."

Prior to my taking the car to him, I thought I had done a pretty good job installing my recently purchased panels but he brought some (in retrospect) glaring "disconnects" to my attention. Sometimes, I have to remind him that I am a Racer/Modifier not a "Restorer." That always seem to make him want to pull his hair out:).

I guess like everything else that we do with our cars, it comes down to what you want at this particular time. If you are into "Shows" and restoration, perhaps the better approach would be to have the original panels rebuilt. If , like me, you are not that interested in originality, then you apparently have several options from Companies that are marketing the panels.

BT

As I stated - if they are plastic in my experience they might fit like sh*&. No offense to the vendors or buyers - the manufacturer tried and they look good - you just have to accept that they are not far from perfect. I could live with the passenger side - it's not bad except for the dimples but the drivers side fit is unacceptable to me.
+! I am on my second set .The first were awful!!! These that I have are exactly as desrcibed. Passenger side look great! The drivers side is a terrible fit. Just as described.If you can find some good originals that the backing is still good, you can send them to just dashes and have them refurbished.You will pay ALOT more but they will look as new old stock.

+! I am on my second set .The first were awful!!! These that I have are exactly as described. Passenger side look great! The drivers side is a terrible fit. Just as described.If you can find some good originals that the backing is still good, you can send them to just dashes and have them refurbished.You will pay ALOT more but they will look as new old stock.
Glad to hear it's not just me. My buddy who helped me and I have each owned seven 71-73 Mustangs between us over the last 35 years. Since my 72 sprint is 95% original I'd like to keep it as stock as possible but it's far from concours condition, i.e. it's too dirty because I drive it weekly. The 72 Mach1 is my weekend warrior. :D

I'm going to look into getting a set of these:

Obviously the picture they have on the website is for a 69-70 for the white panels - I assume that's an oversight. I think these are worth checking out.

"We use only Masonite wood backing for the ultimate in lasting quality. Extremely rigid, durable and unaffected by moisture, Masonite lasts and looks new much longer than cardboard, which can easily bend when dampened by rain or snow. Even cleaning sprays work in around the edges and can begin the deterioration process of cardboard."

http://www.dallasmustang.com/mustang-parts/product/DOOR-PANELS-1971-1973-DELUXE-BLACK-PAIR/12806

UPDATE - Dallas Mustang told me the 71-73 panels are from Mustang Market so there goes that idea. I was hoping distinctive Industries made them.

I put a set of the Mustang Market panels on my '69. They took quite a bit of work with some trimming, adjustment of the clip holes, etc. But now that they are on, they look fantastic.

Funny about this thread, I was just coming to the forum to post to find out if there was a source for repairing the drivers panel on my '72 Mach 1. Now I know there is at least one source (Just Dashes)--thanks you guys--your awesome! Any other sources?

I finally found an excellent OEM drivers door panel for my 72 Mach 1 with deluxe interior on eBay. I'm so happy because the repo's suck. OEM is the way to go. They're out there, they're just hard to find. I've been looking for about 2 years. I had to buy the set to get the one. Now I have an extra passengers side OEM. I'll list it on eBay shortly.

I finally found an excellent OEM drivers door panel for my 72 Mach 1 with deluxe interior on eBay. I'm so happy because the repo's suck. OEM is the way to go. They're out there, they're just hard to find. I've been looking for about 2 years. I had to buy the set to get the one. Now I have an extra passengers side OEM. I'll list it on eBay shortly.
I'm going with plan B or - Bob on Ebay or the local shop that installed my conv top. Here's how much Justdashes wants to redo the pair:

$450 each - Door Panel Restoration

$100 - Color Match

$81 - Freight

$1081 - TOTAL

I'm going with plan B or - Bob on Ebay or the local shop that installed my conv top. Here's how much Justdashes wants to redo the pair:

$450 each - Door Panel Restoration

$100 - Color Match

$81 - Freight

$1081 - TOTAL

OUCH

Guess I am lucky that my deluxe door panels are in excellent shape and need no rework. I did however remove all of the "wood" vinyl from the panels and was left with a decent polished looking panel. I will have to agree with sm3570.

Back