5 hours ago, Jeff73Mach1 said:

I probably would too, but the actual work isn't too bad.  As long as there is no damage to address it is mostly a lot of careful cleaning before reassembly

Yup. Still hoping I don't have to do it. But if I do, it will definitely be yet another time I'll wish this car did not have A/C.

Chris - BIG RED MACH 1

Born in '73 - Drive a '73

Former U.S. Army 63B10-H8

1st Infantry Division - The Big Red One

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I run a stock radiator and have not had over heat issue. 351 C bored .050" flat top pistons, cam, headers, <MSD, auto and AC. You can put CLR mixed with water in the radiator and dissolve the crust

Yes drill a 1/32" dia. hole in thermostat out near where the gasket goes. Just lets the air out of block while filling and not going to affect flow. Some thermostats come with the hole in them. So s

I'm just getting back to this post. I re-read through and I know you're a mechanic which I'm far from, but I have to wonder if you don't have air trapped in the block somewhere. I found they are not t

Posted Images

Well, my kit came. I spent a little extra and bought the one in the hard case. I like all my specialty tools in hard cases and always buy them that way if it's an option. 

...The results are in....Per my test tonight, it does not look like I have any combustion gasses entering my cooling system (still knocks on wood anyway). Got her up to temp. Watched the thermostat open up at the proper temp with my laser thermometer. Then tested once. Color stayed as blue as it was in the bottle. Squeezed the little ball until it wouldn't take air anymore. Did it 4 or 5 times. Then shut off the car for a couple of minutes. Let it heat soak for a few, fired it up again, let her run, and did it again 4 or 5 times. No change in the color at all. 

What I do believe I need is a good flush. There is definitely a lot of gunk in the system as shown before. It's not oily. Just a green/brown residue. Going to flush the hell out of her this weekend. I'll bet this helps tremendously. You guys use the Simple Green for flushes? What's everyone like to flush with? 

20201028_173952.jpg

Edited by Big Red Mach 1

Chris - BIG RED MACH 1

13 hours ago, Big Red Mach 1 said:

What's everyone like to flush with? 

I use toilet paper and lots of water!! 

Sorry, couldn't resist that one. 

• LOL 1

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

11 minutes ago, Don C said:

Thanks Don C. I always assumed this stuff was very acidic. Don't know why. I thought I used to remember warnings on the old labels about not leaving it in your system too long. This would have been 20+ years ago though. Maybe the old stuff was. I was looking for something non-toxic and non acidic so I can leave it in there for a bit to really clean like crazy. Sounds like this will do the trick. Thanks!

Chris - BIG RED MACH 1

Yeah, back in the day you just left it in for a while, drain and flush, and then use a neutralizer and flush again. But it just took 30 minutes, not 3 days. Yes it was toxic. While the new stuff may not be toxic it can still flush out some lead and other metals with it.

• Thanks 1

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

So I just bought some of the Prestone flush fluid.  I used a bottle in my ‘31 Model A—drove it about an hour, idled for a while, then drained it.  Flushed with fresh water for another 30 minutes or so after that and then refilled the system.  So far, it seems to be better.  I was worried about it being aggressive to an old radiator (90+ years!), and I do have an area in the middle of the radiator that looks corroded (green) but it isn’t leaking now and wasn’t leaking there before.  I am planning the same treatment for my ‘69 after the head gasket leak test.  Glad to hear you don’t have a HG leak!

Edited by 69 Rustang

spacer.png
1931 Ford Model A Station Wagon
1969 Mach 1 - 351C, TKO-600, 4WDB, R&P, A/C, Shaker, Fold Down, etc.
1972 Mach 1 - 351C, FMX, PDB, PS, A/C, Fold Down, Console
1996 Mustang Cobra Convertible - 10psi Procharger, 436rwhp