Seat extenders

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtassin

Reaction score
My Car
1972 ford mustang Mach 1
Hey guys & gals.

I'm 6'2" and am trying to add these extenders to my seat tracks.  When I bolt the extender plates to the seat and then try to add the tracks; the tracks seem to have a bow in them which I think is the way they are suppose to be.  But when I try to add the tracks, the tracks are hitting the bolt that the extender plate bolted to the seat (front) and leaves about a 1/4" gap between extender plate and seat track.  If I tighten too much i may been the tracks.  I tried to find seat bolts (3/8"-16X1") with a shallow head and have been unsuccessful.  Any one have any suggestions without adding a bunch of washers.  I really don't want to do it that way.   By the way, I have 1972 mustang mach 1 with bucket seats.

Thanks,

Jimmy t.

Hey guys & gals.

I'm 6'2" and am trying to add these extenders to my seat tracks.  When I bolt the extender plates to the seat and then try to add the tracks; the tracks seem to have a bow in them which I think is the way they are suppose to be.  But when I try to add the tracks, the tracks are hitting the bolt that the extender plate bolted to the seat (front) and leaves about a 1/4" gap between extender plate and seat track.  If I tighten too much i may been the tracks.  I tried to find seat bolts (3/8"-16X1") with a shallow head and have been unsuccessful.  Any one have any suggestions without adding a bunch of washers.  I really don't want to do it that way.   By the way, I have 1972 mustang mach 1 with bucket seats.

Thanks,

Jimmy t.

I noticed the same issue when I did mine. If I remember right, the issue was more pronounced on the front end. You could slide in a couple of washers. But I decided to just go for it and tighten the tracks down. I had a spare set of tracks on hand, so I figured if anything went wrong, I was covered. At any rate, the tracks did flex just a bit as a result, but it didn't in any way impact their structural integrity or operation. No issues to this day, they have been solid. And a super worthwhile upgrade for comfort I might add, especially for us long legged folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys & gals.

Thanks,

Jimmy t.
Wish you had a pic. On the "Shallow head 3/8" -16 X 1" bolts. Go to a Fastenal store Lowe's might have the button head, and ask for button head or shallow head socket head cap screws. The button head is rounded and the shallow just has a much thinner heat but still has a square shoulder. Interesting you had space issues at 6'2" I am 6'5" and never really thought I needed more room? I do have tilt columns. 

The parts guy at my local Ford dealer use to give me the Ford Shop Tips booklets and the early mustangs I seem to recall a bulletin showing seat track extenders for the early mustang from Ford.

Are these the extenders that you're using?

https://www.yearone.com/Product/1964-73-mustang/sb246p#prettyPhoto

Not sure how they came up with the 64-70 seats being the same as the 71-73. The front section would work, but the rear needs some sort of spacer and preferably a bracket to support the rear of the track against the floorpan.

Not sure how they came up with the 64-70 seats being the same as the 71-73. The front section would work, but the rear needs some sort of spacer and preferably a bracket to support the rear of the track against the floorpan.
Yes, those are the ones.  But they don't install on the floor, as they indicate in the picture.  They install between the seat and seat tracks, so they basically just allow the seat to move further back without altering where the tracks mount to the floor.

Yes, those are the ones.  But they don't install on the floor, as they indicate in the picture.  They install between the seat and seat tracks, so they basically just allow the seat to move further back without altering where the tracks mount to the floor.

Odd this is copied from the directions. So I guess maybe this is where the confusion comes from.

Set of 8 brackets with hardware. Use one set per front bucket or bench seat. Used to relocate seat rearward or forward by 1 1/2" or 2". Can be installed on top of or below the carpet. Includes 8 bolts and washers to retain seat to relocation brackets. Hardware to fasten relocation brackets to the floor of the car not included. Some applications may require hardware in place of or in addition to hardware Included. Black powdercoated finish.

Odd this is copied from the directions. So I guess maybe this is where the confusion comes from.

Set of 8 brackets with hardware. Use one set per front bucket or bench seat. Used to relocate seat rearward or forward by 1 1/2" or 2". Can be installed on top of or below the carpet. Includes 8 bolts and washers to retain seat to relocation brackets. Hardware to fasten relocation brackets to the floor of the car not included. Some applications may require hardware in place of or in addition to hardware Included. Black powdercoated finish.

Exactly...

I think I come up with a solution. I was construction manager and a mechanical designer. I've worked out some dimensions on making a 1 piece, bent on each end to allow for spacing. Once I get it worked out , I will post it. Thanks guys for all the help.

Jimmy t.

Boys and girls:

I have come up with a way to make these seat extenders work.  I bought an extra set of set extenders and cut them in half.  Drill out the half pieces.  I then bought some new bolts (8) 3/8" X 3/4" fine thread hex bolts.  I took the original bolts that bolt the track to the seat and cut the washers off and added the new seat extender plates.  The using the new 3/8" bolts; bolted the seat tracks on.  Make sure to align the plates so the seat tracks holes bolting the seats to the floor are aligned.  I will add a few pictures.  

20200614_182750001.jpg

PART_1592321400687_20200614_182742.jpeg

Thank you!  I'm 6'10 and have been searching for some guidance on how to move my 73's seat back.  This is AWESOME and very much appreciated.

Steven

The seat tracks are another part that Ford chose to use the magnesium phosphate coating on. I washed and washed on the tracks and could not get the dried up grease out. So I figured out how to take the track apart and not destroy it. Now I have to figure out how to go back together, lol. There are 1/4" ball bearings and a 3/4" roller in a cage on each end. Of course over time the seat rattles around and the ball bearings make impressions in the tracks. Do not think I will weld them up but might try to smooth out some. They are in molasses tank right now as I round up all the other parts needing the MP coating. Will do a thread on just that.

Boys and girls:

I have come up with a way to make these seat extenders work.  I bought an extra set of set extenders and cut them in half.  Drill out the half pieces.  I then bought some new bolts (8) 3/8" X 3/4" fine thread hex bolts.  I took the original bolts that bolt the track to the seat and cut the washers off and added the new seat extender plates.  The using the new 3/8" bolts; bolted the seat tracks on.  Make sure to align the plates so the seat tracks holes bolting the seats to the floor are aligned.  I will add a few pictures.  

View attachment 42737

View attachment 42738
I followed jtassin instructions, utilizing a second set on brackets cut in half. It would out great!  At 6’4” with a 34” inseam I have plenty of legroom. There was no loss of headroom, possibly gained a slight bit. Entering and exiting the vehicle is much easier. Thanks jtassin. 
I did find that I needs to use 5/16 fine thread rather than 3/8

I had no issue installing the brackets as is, without utilizing a 2nd set.  The seat tracks have enough give where they will slightly bend in place when you torque down the bolts.

It's worth repeating, but this was one of the best mods I have ever done to the Mach 1.  The extra 2 inches of leg room makes a huge difference.

Back