Photoshop taillight ideas

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New72

Reaction score
My Car
72 mustang coupe
round taillights have always been my favorite. So I decided to swap taillights from falaxie, starliner, fairlane, and other fords. I know a lot of people like things 100% stock or original , but I like to change things up. Please bare with me. Thank you  ::thumb::

Hello mudbilly,

Yep, those were the days when every year brought a newly styled car and most folks were on a two-year trading cycle. When a neighbor brought a new car home then, there was actual excitement and everyone had to see the new addition to the family.

Back up lamps were considered a luxury item then. Standard on upscale models such as Lincoln, T-Bird, and select Mercury vehicles, but an option on the lowly Ford. The reverse or back up lens would have been in the center of the red tail light lens.

The pictures show the standard 62 Ford taillight lens, the service part lens for a backup lamp model, the C2AZ-15511-A reverse lamp lens, and the assembled lamp with the reverse lamp. There was also an over the counter kit available that included everything needed to add reverse lamps to your family truckster.

C2AZ-13450-A  Standard Lens

C2AZ-13450-B    B/U Lamp Service Lens C2AZ-15511-A Reverse lamp

Assembled Lens

Here are some pics of Opel lights. They've been used for a lot of conversions as the bucket only needs a round hole large enough to fit it. The lenses can be swapped around to some extent. The buckets range from single bulb/single filament, single bulb/dual filament to two bulb with one single and one dual and possibly one with the back up built in (I don't quite recall on that one, but It would explain the center clear circle. The GT and Manta lights are about 5-6" in diameter.

And this is from the euro market Opel Rekord, with a different light and trim detail:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my terrible photo shop, but all these tail lights need is the inside one squared. Get rid of the goofy looking inner angles. If someone photoshopped this proper, I'm  positive that this subtle change would look amazing. 

w2HkaqJ.jpg

I was wondering when that pic would float back up.  Those are exactly how [i think] the factory should've done 'em.  Just a little subtle change from what they actually did, but I love it!

I'm not so sure about the round lights, though - the more angular body lines don't support 'em very well, IMHO.  Maybe if they were a little smaller.

What about the same model year Cougar lights, like Jason's doing on his.  Now, those look sharp - and before anybody says how much they look like '77 Firebird taillights - had the factory gone this route, they would be talking about how much the '77 Firebird taillights looked so much like '71-'73 Mustang taillights. 😉

1971-1973-mercury-cougar-4.jpg

Something like this:

View attachment 28038

I really dig the third version in the original post. Never even considered round light as an option. 
I suck at Photoshop but I'd love to see someone try the tail lights from the 68 Charger.

I really dig the third version in the original post. Never even considered round light as an option. 
I suck at Photoshop but I'd love to see someone try the tail lights from the 68 Charger.
With 68 charger taillights

20200616_015502.jpg

Back