Rear quarter window question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eventhorizon

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code with factory ram air
I have been buying parts from ebay and aftermarket to convert my sportsroof rear quarter windows to roll-down. I have questions and as Mad Max would say "you have the knowing of a lot of things".  i have bought supposed complete sets and a lot of parts and pieces plus aftermarket stuff (but i would like to stay stock). finally getting ready to do this (sorting parts out and cleaning them) going by the VERY complete instructions from a guy who already did this to his. i got all the parts and extra parts laid out (i have multiple of everything) and noticed that i have 3 different kinds of roll down mechanisms. I thought ebayers were sending me the wrong stuff as maybe they didn't know their parts.  But, the instructions i have show one roll down mechanism, the Mustang Authentic Restoration Guide shows another and the 1972 shop manual shows a third. Does anyone know if there is a certain one that is prefered or will they all work?    

Thanks

Thomas Hanson

I know there’s a right and a left winder mechanism, and the same for the guide plates.The only aftermarket parts for the 1/4 windows are the roll down winders, and the window cranks and knobs. Everything else must be sourced from a vert or a coupe.

Thanks.  I guess i will just do what the instructions i have says.  Maybe they used 3 different winder mechanisms, one for each year.  On the bright side, I have a pair of coupe quarter windows if either of you need them.

Thomas

Should be no difference between the years, just right and left. My 1/4 windows are rolling up and down pretty smooth. I have no problems with them since I did the conversion, so I’m good to go. I’m sure glad I did this too, makes the car look much better and I have gotten some really nice compliments. Good luck with your conversion, it’s really pretty easy. Just takes a lot of adjusting to get them right.

+1
Easy but very tricky to adjust indeed. You are aligning the window with respect to the seals, quarter panel and the door window. It gets tricky because it rolls up at a diferent angle to the c-pillar seal so it has to be aligned for the edge of the window to be in the same plane than the groove of the seal, bit not too tight against it that it will slide the seal with it. Patience and take your time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Back