My Other vehicles

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach1
2015 F150 5.0 Coyote

1995 Regal Destiny 240

The 1995 boat has a 351W in it that has GT40 heads and the same high torque cam the 94 and 95 Lightning got. Came that way. When Ford did the 95 Cobra R's they actually snagged 300 of the marine engines and used those, just swapped the cam for a different one . There was something about the way that the marine blocks were done that Ford felt made them the better than the standard automotive 351 blocks for the Cobra R's so they grabbed those.

Pretty rare in general to find Fords in boats. They only did it for a handful of years in the early 90's I believe. Seems like 90% of the stern drive type boats out there are GM based. 

Are Mercury outboards not associated with Mercury division of FoMoCo? Wikipedia says no.

Interesting explanation- I'll admit I know next to nothing regarding boats! Then the 351W / 5.8L engine is re-branded as a Volvo? I'll bet that engine sounds incredible out on the water. And think of the irony, the Ford V8 in a boat named Regal, as in Buick Regal. ;)

I am not a boat guy had too many other habits. I did have friends that have them and couple of family members had lake houses at lakes. 

Ford engines got used in boats when the flathead V-8 came out years ago. Guy that did some dirt work for me had one of the I think Ski Nautique that had I believe he said Ford 302 with a jet drive. Was a popular ski boat could pull a bunch of skiers. He had his boat at that time 6 years and has 25 hours on it. He worked all the time. 

Closest thing I had to a boat was 18 ' raft that I use to take people on white water rafting trips. Had a blast doing that. We even took it down the river they filmed Deliverance on, no banjos, lol.

Interesting explanation- I'll admit I know next to nothing regarding boats!  Then the 351W / 5.8L engine is re-branded as a Volvo?  I'll bet that engine sounds incredible out on the water.  And think of the irony, the Ford V8 in a boat named Regal, as in Buick Regal.  ;)
So two big names in Stern Drives - Volvo Penta and Mercruiser. Not the only two, but the big two. They are responsible for the outdrive and related components. They also are responsible for selecting the engine packages that will mate to their outdrives and fitting them accordingly. Most engines have mostly common automotive parts, but others are different. The starter for example is a sealed unit, different than the automotive version. Not that you would ever want water in the bilge, but it happens at some point in the life of a boat. The dizzy cap is slightly different in that it doesn't have a vent or hole in it. No sparks in the bilge area. My upper intake looks like any other cobra style intake at fist glace, but it's neck at the throttle is shorter because no EGR valve, and also because it needs to be shorter so the intake can clear the exhaust risers. That's another thing, wet exhaust. Lake water passes through the exhaust manifolds and exists out of the exhaust. They stay cool all the time. I can run wide open all day and put my hand on the exhaust manifolds and leave it there. We also have water pumps as typical, but also a "Sea Water" pump. That pump draws the water into the system, then the water pump takes it from there as it would in any normal auto application. Another interesting thing is that my hoses are originals with 1994 dates still on them. Because the system is not pressurized like a car is, they never blow or get holes in them or collapse.

I'll link a video that I did right after I installed my thru-hull exhaust so you can see the water coming out and hear how it sounds. I added 95db mufflers in my system to keep it legal and to also keep it from being annoying. I thought the wife would hate it, but she likes it. It sounds like a Mustang out on the water. This was in my garage, first fire-up after install. First fire-up of that year actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not a boat guy had too many other habits. I did have friends that have them and couple of family members had lake houses at lakes. 

Ford engines got used in boats when the flathead V-8 came out years ago. Guy that did some dirt work for me had one of the I think Ski Nautique that had I believe he said Ford 302 with a jet drive. Was a popular ski boat could pull a bunch of skiers. He had his boat at that time 6 years and has 25 hours on it. He worked all the time. 

Closest thing I had to a boat was 18 ' raft that I use to take people on white water rafting trips. Had a blast doing that. We even took it down the river they filmed Deliverance on, no banjos, lol.
Ski Nautque and Correct Craft used Fords more than anyone. I often lurk a Correct Craft forum for info even though I don't own either brand, and my boat itself is very different. Correct Craft used the 351W with GT40 heads. They actually chose to call them GT40's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back