Pulling Trans

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
351C 4V - C6
Blue with Blue interior
Figured I would post on here and see if people can give some tips on dropping the trans out of the car to change some seals and swap torque convertors. Its a 72 with 351c and C6, and Im just wanting to replace the seals, change filter and fluid and then put it back in. But I will likely be doing it from under the car and sadly I dont have a lift. I do have ramps so I was planning on seeing how high I can get it that way, then go from there.

Somewhere in my build thread i posted the minimum you have to raise the car to have enough space to slide the trans from under the car. I had the car tires on wood blocks over the ramp and used a garage jack to lower the transmission. I bolted a section of 8x2 to the jack to help hold the transmission.

Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
not the easy way to do it but happens that way all the time.. never did it that way, but i'd say u gotta lift the car in the front about 2 ft. measure the bell housing and that'll tell ya and add a bit more. gravity will help getting out... it'll fight ya going back... have fun

I do have an engine hoist as well. Had just thought about dropping the trans since thats all I planned on working on. But Im starting to ponder if I should just pull the motor with the trans still attached.

I do have an engine hoist as well. Had just thought about dropping the trans since thats all I planned on working on. But Im starting to ponder if I should just pull the motor with the trans still attached.
The max vertical height of my spare C6 with a stock pan is 17.5 at the top of the bell housing and 19.5 at the top of the dip stick tube. This does not account for the height of any jack you may use. Good luck. Chuck

Sounds like pulling them both out is the way to do it. Anything special to know when pulling it? I have pulled motors on fox bodies and subarus, but this will be the first for this car.

Back