Curious who here has put in a quicker ratio steering box. I have been looking at the Redhead Steering Gears box and they apparently have 3 ratios available, stock 18:1, 15.1:1(I think), and I think their quickest was a 12.7:1. So Im curious what people have upgraded to and if they liked it. I am mostly torn between the 15 and 12 ratios as the reduced lock to lock would be nice. I just dont want to make the car too darty on the highway.

There have been quite a few discussions on the forum about this, just do a search of the forum (pull down menu under "More", upper right corner of this page).

Here's a couple of examples:

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-playing-with-steering-boxes-spa-s-fixed-ratio-spa-af-variable-ratio-firebird-12-7?highlight=steering+gear

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-steering-components-recommendations-for-a-73?highlight=steering+gear

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Curious who here has put in a quicker ratio steering box. I have been looking at the Redhead Steering Gears box and they apparently have 3 ratios available, stock 18:1, 15.1:1(I think), and I think their quickest was a 12.7:1. So Im curious what people have upgraded to and if they liked it. I am mostly torn between the 15 and 12 ratios as the reduced lock to lock would be nice. I just dont want to make the car too darty on the highway.

My car is still spread over the garage, attic, and the body shop so I can’t give you much input on what it is like to drive at highway speeds with a 12.7:1 box.  I would say  you might get a rough idea on something more modern that has a similar lock to lock.

For example a Toyota Rav 4 SUV is about 2.75 turns lock to lock.

A Ford Fiesta ST has the most aggressive steering of anything I have driven at 2.25 turns lock to lock with the wheelbase of a Gokart.  Below is an old thread I dug up when the lock to lock numbers for the different Saginaw box guts in a 71-73.

For future people...

Don C & Stanglover both have variable ratio boxes and confirmed them to be about 3.6 turns lock to lock.  Paul113 also has a variable box, and his was about 3.4 turns lock to lock.

My parts car with a fixed ratio box is 4 turns lock to lock.

My 12.7:1 quick ratio box is about 2.67 turns lock to lock.

So it looks like....

4 turns = fixed ratio

3.5 ish turns = variable ratio

2.67 turns = true 12.7:1 conversion

My car is still spread over the garage, attic, and the body shop so I can’t give you much input on what it is like to drive at highway speeds with a 12.7:1 box.  I would say  you might get a rough idea on something more modern that has a similar lock to lock.

For example a Toyota Rav 4 SUV is about 2.75 turns lock to lock.

A Ford Fiesta ST has the most aggressive steering of anything I have driven at 2.25 turns lock to lock with the wheelbase of a Gokart.  Below is an old thread I dug up when the lock to lock numbers for the different Saginaw box guts in a 71-73.

For future people...

Don C & Stanglover both have variable ratio boxes and confirmed them to be about 3.6 turns lock to lock.  Paul113 also has a variable box, and his was about 3.4 turns lock to lock.

My parts car with a fixed ratio box is 4 turns lock to lock.

My 12.7:1 quick ratio box is about 2.67 turns lock to lock.

So it looks like....

4 turns = fixed ratio

3.5 ish turns = variable ratio

2.67 turns = true 12.7:1 conversion

Just to clarify, the variable ratio PS box is 3 1/8 turns LTL (3.125) The ratio is 16 and 13 :1.

I would say go for the 12.7 fixed quick ratio, but personally I like my V/R as it is. ( if I tried a 12.7:1, I might like it and have to spend more money!!)

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

Go with the 12.7:1. You will love it.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Well the 12.7 box is ordered. Cant wait till it gets here and I can get it in the car. Since Im likely pulling the motor to do some seals and torque convertor I will likely swap the box when the engines out so I have room. Also looking at a urethane steering coupler since that could probably use to be replaced at the same time. 

I had Power Steering Service rebuild my box with the 12.7:1 conversion and it is outstanding.

Also have quicker ratio, forgot the specs, but I do like it. Feels proper for the car. Not like driving an old LTD or something!!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I also had my steering box rebuilt with the 12.7:1 ratio and I love it.  Combined with new bushings all the way around,  new shocks and radials, these cars never handled so well.

Finally took the car out yesterday after bleeding the P/S system and making sure all the air was out of it. And have to say I absolutely LOVE the new steering box. Definately makes the car feel much more responsive and sporty.