Automatic/Manual svap?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stebbsi

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang Coupe
Hi guys

I´ve got an opportunity to buy an ´86 Mustang GT with a 302 and a T5 manual gearbox for a small amount of money.

I´m wondering if it would be a good idea to swap the T5 into my ´71 coupe? (since the C4 auto is dead and out from under the thing)

And would the bellhousing fit onto the 351 Cleveland I have in the ´71?

What do you guys think?

Kv.

Stebbi

Yes it will fit. The bellhousing is the same. The flywheel has a different balance factor 28oz on the Cleveland and 50oz on the 5.0. you'll need a clutch linkage and pedal. I plan on making a 5 speed swap into my convertible too.

Hi guys

I´ve got an opportunity to buy an ´86 Mustang GT with a 302 and a T5 manual gearbox for a small amount of money.

I´m wondering if it would be a good idea to swap the T5 into my ´71 coupe? (since the C4 auto is dead and out from under the thing)

What do you guys think?

Kv.

Stebbi
T5 trannys have a tough time staying together with a hoped up 302, If you plan on any performanceupgrades on the cleveland I dont think it will be durable enough.

It will depend on the cars use, racing or a lead foot will be hard to keep it together.

Hi guys

What do you guys think?

Kv.

Stebbi
T5 trannys have a tough time staying together with a hoped up 302, If you plan on any performanceupgrades on the cleveland I dont think it will be durable enough.

It will depend on the cars use, racing or a lead foot will be hard to keep it together.
Just received my Mustang Monthly magazine and it had a good article on swapping a 5sp into a 4sp car. I went with the AOD but if I keep having issues that would be the next way to go. I would have done that from the start but the tranny came with the motor.

Back