Midlife! Sport Lamp Wiring Issue?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 J Code Mach 1
1972 H Code Mach 1
Do the 71 wiring diagrams not show the grill Sport Lamps or am I missing it?

I can see them referenced in the 72 diagrams and have to assume that they are wired the same- the power for the sport lamps comes from the power feed to the dimmer switch. That way the sport lamps come on only with the headlamps.

The PO of my new Mach 1 'fixed all of the wiring issues.' But there are now butt connectors all over the lighting portion  of the engine compartment harness and the sport lamps function as parking lamps/ turn signals...

I wouldn't mind them as parking lamps (i.e. on whenever the parking lights are on) but my flashing isn't working right and I suspect this might be why.

Thanks!

-Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, 71 sportslamps are referred to as grill lamps.  They should come on whenever the headlights are on.  Wired up as parking lamps/turn signals is the 73 wiring scheme.  It seems someone really screwed up your wiring.

Are aftermarket sockets available for them? I think my 72 has the correct sockets but I don't want to cut that harness up. This car has three-wire sockets which aren't right...

I have yet to find 2 wire lamp sockets appropriate for 71/72 sportslamps.  You have to use the 3 wire versions and not use the black (ground) wire that feeds the side tap.

Does anyone know of the right LED bulb for this sports/rally/grill lamps?  Most lamps expect power to be tip to shell (like an 1152), not tip to tip.

Thanks,

Nick

Does anyone know of the right LED bulb for this sports/rally/grill lamps?  Most lamps expect power to be tip to shell (like an 1152), not tip to tip.

Thanks,

Nick
Bulb for the 71-72 sportlamps is #94. Google search turns up lots of options in LED, but they are purely decorative so not worth the outlay IMO. 

Bulb for the 71-72 sportlamps is #94. Google search turns up lots of options in LED, but they are purely decorative so not worth the outlay IMO. 
No.  The Factory Manual states that the MUSTANG sportslamp is #96; the other Ford/Mercury models use #94. 

Back