Installed my backup cam and dash cam today

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 dark green
To all the purists, deal with it.  I need my back up cam in all of my cars and with this Mustang, new to me I definitely need it, hard to see out that window.  My car is just a driver, no more concours shows for me.  With that said, I am slowly putting my interior back together, today I installed my new mirror with backup monitor and I also installed a dash cam.  I did not want a "strap on" monitor for the backup camera so I replaced the mirror with one that contains a monitor.   Getting the wire under the metal trim was a bear as the connection from the monitor to the hard wire ended up under the trim and it was a tad thick, but I did it.  Also put in a dash cam, I run them in all of my cars, crazy drivers here in GA.  Camera is mounted to the top holes in the license plate, painted the body white to try to blend in with the plate a bit,  the wire shows a bit in the picture, still need to tuck that in.

mirror4.jpg

mirror3.jpg

mirror2.jpg

mirror1.jpg

Attachments

• mirror4.jpg
    mirror4.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 14
  • mirror3.jpg
    mirror3.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 14
  • mirror2.jpg
    mirror2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 12
  • mirror1.jpg
    mirror1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 14
Nice looking and good job on the install.  What brand is it and where did you get it.  I've been thinking about putting one on mine.  I've seen several other on here and am trying to see what one seem to work the best.

I'm going to check that out. I see there are 3 version, the wireless looks better, but I'm yet to investigate it all before making a purchase.

Thanks for the link.

Wireless ones are not 100% reliable from what I have read, I always go hard wired.  The mirror monitor, regardless of wired or wireless, still needs the wire down into power.  The camera still needs to be powered on in the trunk so all you are saving is running the wire from the trunk into the interior, not really very difficult IMO.  the wire itself from the dash up the mirror might be thinner when going wireless but for me reliability is first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a wireless one and works well. I am now looking at the models that come with dash cam integrated since i also use a separate one. Unfortunately my A pilar trim cracked a bit during the install.

Most cameras have a grid of lines  supposed to help you measure.  I do not like lines, I like a full picture.  The camera included with this set up in the above link has the option,  If you want the grid lines you cut one of the mentioned wires.   I had repaired A pillars on both sides, had to tread VERY carefully indeed, especially putting 2 wires under it.

I put in a similar one here a couple months ago. Love it. I like the full width cam. Can split and do front and back. Save video to a 128GB Micro SD and also the GPS speedo. All around good. 

The final product is almost impossible to see. 

20200517_115353.jpg

Most of my cameras are low, on the plate area.  I only use it for backing up, that is most important too me not concerned too much watching behind me while driving, I can do that with the 3 mirrors.  I would imagine a high up camera will not pick up close to the bumper area while backing.  Can you mount two cameras with your set up so you can see when you are backing up close??

Most of my cameras are low, on the plate area.  I only use it for backing up, that is most important too me not concerned too much watching behind me while driving, I can do that with the 3 mirrors.  I would imagine a high up camera will not pick up close to the bumper area while backing.  Can you mount two cameras with your set up so you can see when you are backing up close??
Did it come with the trim piece to hide the wires going into the headliner trim? If not what did you use? Thanks

I ran wires up, behind the A pillar trim piece and then behind the metal trim piece at top of the windshield, cut a small notch in the metal for the wires down to the mirror.     Did not attempt to mess with the headliner.

I did the same for mine (notch in the windshield trim piece, ran cabling up behind the A-pillar trim, etc.). 

I see now with these newer, less-expensive models that my old Pyle Audio clip-on monitor is old and toinky (mounted at the top of my license plate as well). 

View attachment 27973

I'm looking into replacing that one now.  Thanks for sharing your results, everybody - I'm really diggin' how much nicer these newer units look. 

I'm also thinking about getting an electric trunk popper and replacing the lock with a back up camera, to put a little bit better perspective on the camera view.  Anybody done a trunk popper yet?

Would you prefer "cheeze-mo?"   :rofl:

Back