Installed my backup cam and dash cam today

To all the purists, deal with it.  I need my back up cam in all of my cars and with this Mustang, new to me I definitely need it, hard to see out that window.  My car is just a driver, no more concours shows for me.  With that said, I am slowly putting my interior back together, today I installed my new mirror with backup monitor and I also installed a dash cam.  I did not want a "strap on" monitor for the backup camera so I replaced the mirror with one that contains a monitor.   Getting the wire under the metal trim was a bear as the connection from the monitor to the hard wire ended up under the trim and it was a tad thick, but I did it.  Also put in a dash cam, I run them in all of my cars, crazy drivers here in GA.  Camera is mounted to the top holes in the license plate, painted the body white to try to blend in with the plate a bit,  the wire shows a bit in the picture, still need to tuck that in.

mirror4.jpg

mirror3.jpg

mirror2.jpg

mirror1.jpg

• Like 2

Nice work. 

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Nice looking and good job on the install.  What brand is it and where did you get it.  I've been thinking about putting one on mine.  I've seen several other on here and am trying to see what one seem to work the best.

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

I'm going to check that out. I see there are 3 version, the wireless looks better, but I'm yet to investigate it all before making a purchase.

Thanks for the link.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

Posted (edited)

Wireless ones are not 100% reliable from what I have read, I always go hard wired.  The mirror monitor, regardless of wired or wireless, still needs the wire down into power.  The camera still needs to be powered on in the trunk so all you are saving is running the wire from the trunk into the interior, not really very difficult IMO.  the wire itself from the dash up the mirror might be thinner when going wireless but for me reliability is first.

Edited by jscott

I have a wireless one and works well. I am now looking at the models that come with dash cam integrated since i also use a separate one. Unfortunately my A pilar trim cracked a bit during the install.

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

I like what you did.  Been looking at backup cameras for a while and I need to replace my mirror anyways.  I see that it gives you options to cut a white and green wire.  What is that all about?

Most cameras have a grid of lines  supposed to help you measure.  I do not like lines, I like a full picture.  The camera included with this set up in the above link has the option,  If you want the grid lines you cut one of the mentioned wires.   I had repaired A pillars on both sides, had to tread VERY carefully indeed, especially putting 2 wires under it.

I put in a similar one here a couple months ago. Love it. I like the full width cam. Can split and do front and back. Save video to a 128GB Micro SD and also the GPS speedo. All around good. 

The final product is almost impossible to see. 

20200517_115353.jpg

Edited by Big Red Mach 1

Chris - Born in '73 - Drive a '73

Former Mechanic U.S. Army

1st Infantry Division - The Big Red One

BIG RED MACH 1

Learning a lesson (or three) on the Cleveland every day.

Here is the one I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XZ1D226/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I plan on mounting it inside the car up high in the center of the back window so it can act as my full time digital rear view mirror. I hear mounting them in the licence plate they get washed out with headlights plus I want to cover some of the side blind spot areas as well.

Most of my cameras are low, on the plate area.  I only use it for backing up, that is most important too me not concerned too much watching behind me while driving, I can do that with the 3 mirrors.  I would imagine a high up camera will not pick up close to the bumper area while backing.  Can you mount two cameras with your set up so you can see when you are backing up close??

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2020 at 2:52 PM, jscott said:

Most of my cameras are low, on the plate area.  I only use it for backing up, that is most important too me not concerned too much watching behind me while driving, I can do that with the 3 mirrors.  I would imagine a high up camera will not pick up close to the bumper area while backing.  Can you mount two cameras with your set up so you can see when you are backing up close??

Did it come with the trim piece to hide the wires going into the headliner trim? If not what did you use? Thanks

www.puregemdetailing.com

I ran wires up, behind the A pillar trim piece and then behind the metal trim piece at top of the windshield, cut a small notch in the metal for the wires down to the mirror.     Did not attempt to mess with the headliner.

2 hours ago, jscott said:

I ran wires up, behind the A pillar trim piece and then behind the metal trim piece at top of the windshield, cut a small notch in the metal for the wires down to the mirror.     Did not attempt to mess with the headliner.

+1

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

I did the same for mine (notch in the windshield trim piece, ran cabling up behind the A-pillar trim, etc.). 

I see now with these newer, less-expensive models that my old Pyle Audio clip-on monitor is old and toinky (mounted at the top of my license plate as well). 

interior2.jpg

I'm looking into replacing that one now.  Thanks for sharing your results, everybody - I'm really diggin' how much nicer these newer units look. 

I'm also thinking about getting an electric trunk popper and replacing the lock with a back up camera, to put a little bit better perspective on the camera view.  Anybody done a trunk popper yet?

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

On 6/12/2020 at 4:56 PM, jscott said:

To all the purists, deal with it.  I need my back up cam in all of my cars and with this Mustang, new to me I definitely need it, hard to see out that window.  My car is just a driver, no more concours shows for me.  With that said, I am slowly putting my interior back together, today I installed my new mirror with backup monitor and I also installed a dash cam.  I did not want a "strap on" monitor for the backup camera so I replaced the mirror with one that contains a monitor.   Getting the wire under the metal trim was a bear as the connection from the monitor to the hard wire ended up under the trim and it was a tad thick, but I did it.  Also put in a dash cam, I run them in all of my cars, crazy drivers here in GA.  Camera is mounted to the top holes in the license plate, painted the body white to try to blend in with the plate a bit,  the wire shows a bit in the picture, still need to tuck that in.

mirror4.jpg

mirror3.jpg

mirror2.jpg

mirror1.jpg

Now that you have had your mirror a couple of weeks I was just wondering how it is working and if you like it.   Looking at their model MR-10-M2DVR4  that has both back up and dash cam built into it.    It's a little pricey compare to some of the others but I like the fact that it replaces your existing mirror. 

Edited by Kilgon

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

I have not driven it, just finishing the interior and now on to the engine bay.