Trunk Paint

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icejawa

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 M Code,2003 Mach Azure Blue
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a place to acquire the correct trunk paint for a 1971 Mach. I read the previous threads other people made and all the links are dead. PPG DX-1756 is what I think I'm looking for.

Thanks

The only source I know of is Zolatone Series 20. Link: https://tcpglobal.com/pages/search-results-page?q=zolatone

The 1971 color is lighter than the 1972/73 color. You may try some auto paint stores. Numbers are: PPG DX-1756, DuPont 389-257, Sherwin Williams J4-3821. Please double check my data before buying anything. You will need a special gun with a large tip to spray the Zolatone. It doesn't cover quickly and 1 quart just was enough for my trunk. Let us know what you find. Chuck

The only source I know of is Zolatone Series 20. Link: https://tcpglobal.com/pages/search-results-page?q=zolatone

The 1971 color is lighter than the 1972/73 color. You may try some auto paint stores. Numbers are: PPG DX-1756, DuPont 389-257, Sherwin Williams J4-3821. Please double check my data before buying anything. You will need a special gun with a large tip to spray the Zolatone. It doesn't cover quickly and 1 quart just was enough for my trunk. Let us know what you find. Chuck
Thanks for the help, Which of the Zolatones is the best match?

I have not used the Eastwood product but, I have heard it requires a satin clear top coat to be durable. Also, I can't see how an aerosol spray can could provide the proper texture. As to which Zolatone color to use you will just have to compare to original and pick the one that is the closest match. Many of the on-line pictures make the 1971 paint appear darker that it really is.

Internet pictures can be very deceiving so I hesitate to offer an opinion. Have tried posting on the Concours Mustang site? The same paint was used in 1970 so you may get an accurate source for the paint. Chuck

Back