Hi new guy from Appalachia

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M9Powell

Reaction score
Hi retired old Army guy here kinda looking for 71-73 fastback. Used too have a real 70 calypso coral (orange) G code. I was forced too sell back in 81 when my first wife was having my first child. Had a 66 K code 2+2 that I sold in 75 for 850$. The ones I really miss though are not Mustangs but Cyclones. A 1970 completion orange (same color as calypso coral but Mercury had a different name) J code 4 speed and a 68 with the red & white Woods brothers paint scheme 406 tri-power 4 speed (not original). Also had a 72 Q-code torino back in the day. Never had a 71-73 Stang but always wanted one. I'm 6'5" so they fit me better than other Mustangs. I'm currently interested in a car for sale about an hour away. It looks very nice in the pics the seller sent me. He's calling it a 73 Mach 1 clone but I'm not sure about that. The VIN is for a 73 02 sportsroof with 302 . I suspect though that's it's really a 72 that got a 73 VIN plate & title grafted on it. It definitely has a 72 front end & stripes (which I prefer). I know I can pull the fender back & tell for sure, but this dealer isn't going to allow that before I buy it. Pretty sure it's not a 71 because it has the fasten seat belt light on the dash. Currently a 351 C with a aftermarket intake & carb (no idea what factory heads are on it?)  Toploader & 9" rearend. The only errors I have spotted other than The VIN & title are it looks too have a new repro chrome bumper & non-staggered shocks ( It'd be a wheel hop queen) . Other than that it appears to be a very nice restored 72 Mach 1. Kinda pricey. Any advice appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from Houston TX!  I wouldn't worry too much about what is or isn't on your Stang.  I purchased my 72 Mach 1 H Code just over 2 years ago.  It came with a restored body and rebuilt engine and a C6 in place of the FMX.  The Marti Report has indicated that very little of the original equipment and paint exists.  I made substantial changes just to get my Babe road worthy and safe to drive.....plus restoring the Ram Air system with repro parts and replacing the entire interior.  Replaced the steering system, braking system (Wilwood), A/C system, electrical system along with new wheels and tires and stereo snd speakers.  Lots and lots of aftermarket parts to get her up to snuff.  She no longer resembles the Marti Report except its a 1972 Mustang Mach 1......thats it but she is purty and runs great!  Good luck if you choose to purchase and make her yours!

Thanks, I'm not so worried about what is on the car per say, but the asking price is North of 30 thousand. Pretty sure it can be bought for less. I'm just trying to figure out what it really is and what it's worth. The car is very nice but I don't think it's worth it. I have no doubt someone has this much or close in restoring it, but clones don't bring that kind of $.

PS Nice black Mach 1. One of the prettiest cars I've ever seen was a black 71 sportsroof with J code 429 scj solid black, no stripes sitting on a Ford dealers lot in 71. A C6 with a small block bellhousing pattern is uncommon. I have one in a 71 Montego m code parts car. 

Back in 77 I had a chance to buy to buy a 72 R code low mileage sportsroof for 1500$ & turned it down because someone had clear coated it & it had a few cracks in the clearcoat. Kicked myself over that one ever since. I knew it was rare at the time. 

I used too be stationed on Coranado years ago. Y'all have the best weather in the world. Except for the occasional tremor of course.😊

Ohh, I love the car. I just think it's overpriced. And I don't know exactly what it is. I haven't messed with mustangs in over 30 years. Can someone give me some tips on telling the difference between 72 & 73 front fenders? I know they r a bit different in the bumper cutout. It currently has a repro 71-72 chrome bumper on it. Did all 73s have the rubber ducky one?

Welcome from Ohio.  See if the driver door still has the  data plate on it.  The vin is also printed there.  If it matches the dash then odds are it is what he claims.  If not then you need to decide which one is correct.    The vin is also stamped on the top of the fender apron under the left side fender.    Good luck

Yea, I thought about the door data sticker. Of over 100 photos he sent me, none of them show it. That kinda makes me suspicious. I suspect it's gone. Maybe to be expected if it was a color change. It's not what he claims. He claims it to be a flawless professional restored 73 Mach 1 clone. It has a 71-72 Bumper, grill & decals. And the bumper is chrome. I don't think the dealer that has it is intentionally misleading, I just don't think he knows much about old mustangs. A flawless perfect 73 Mach 1 4 speed clone should have staggered shocks also.

Welcome from Oregon (and a former member of the U.S. Army, just for 3 1/2 years, though). Good luck in your quest for a '71-'73. I agree with others, 30K+ sounds like too much, more like 15 to 20. One thing, be careful of scams, there have been at least two '71s-'73s for sale recently that were scams. Sounds like this one you're looking at is legit, though, if he can send you a VIN picture.

Here's one that a forum member bought, a 429 J code, probably for less than 20K.

Hello and welcome from SW Ontario Canada.

My advice, don't rush at it. Go see it in person. It seems like you know what to look for, but really look at the underside for repairs and or bad spots. It's all to easy to put lipstick on a pig! If all the  boxes don't check out, move on. I too think 30k for an altered car is steep. I doubt I could get anywhere near that for my mostly original (other than paint , interior trim and some other upgrades) 71 Mach 1 M code.

When I bought mine, I didn't take the sellers word for it and flew out to LA to check out the car, but I could have had him just ship it. However, if I'd done that, I would have missed out on a great weekend and making a good friend.

Stanglover

Welcome from Iowa. Keep in mind converting the 73 front end over to a 71-72 front end is a common thing. So it prob is a 73 with a 72 front end. And yes $30K seems very high. 

Back