Ebay J-Code(?) Driver Project

Circling back to the interior- just trying to confirm the finishes and part colors on the 'Mach 1 Sports Interior Group.'

Since the initial info I received (thanks for all of the knowledge fellas!) I found a storage pocket in my parts stash and re-did the center gauge trim. Half the screws were missing or the wrong sizes. At least now things are consistent. And I added some aftermarket gauges so I know how bad (!) the hot oil pressure is. Oh and its hard to take good interior pics outside...

764396538_9-17InteriorResized.thumb.JPG.e7f7344aa99e1b43f77e721a007584ea.JPG

Thanks to Muskrat1 for the wheel, it looks great and is a huge improvement over the one that was in there!

Back to my question: part colors.

Dash pad should be black? Are standard interior pads the same color as the interior?

My dash panel (the steel structure) is painted blue- I assume this is correct as it seems like a PITA to change.

Center dash/ gauge trim panel: if its woodgrain its black? Standard interior trims are interior color?

Dash end caps- mine are some shade of blue- should they be painted interior color or black?

Original molded plastic bits and pieces (kick panels, seat backs, consoles, interior rear quarter trims) would have been molded in body color right? So my blue interior should have blue plastics?

Finally, the seat hinge cover plates- did these change over time? I scored a nice pair on Ebay but the mounting hole in my seat back frame has no threads. Either I'm not seeing an obvious way to mount these guys or somebody has messed with my frames...

424445042_SeatBackSideHingeResized.thumb.JPG.a0ef4c3c89b64d378a10365d62da822e.JPG

And in the rear, were the package tray and rear panel (not sure what to call these, the parts I'm pointing to) black or interior color?

I'm assuming somebody has replaced my sail panels with black ones and  they should be blue?

1443274014_RearInterior.thumb.JPG.7e9ee9208659e6216cb7e47c2c3d90ec.JPG

And finally a random exterior pic because the weather's great and driving a Mustang is cool

229551879_IMG_2608Resized.thumb.JPG.ceb9ad56e180bf29b02a7c1d02f4a54b.JPG

Edited by mjlan
Garmer
  • Like 1

Matt

Here is what I think is right for colors. I copied your questions will answer below each one. I have a 72 blue Mach 1 in the back yard was crashed in 1974 with 32,000 miles.

Dash pad should be black? Are standard interior pads the same color as the interior?

The metal part of the dash and pad should be blue.

My dash panel (the steel structure) is painted blue- I assume this is correct as it seems like a PITA to change.

The metal part of the dash should be blue with the plastic pieces being camera black.

Center dash/ gauge trim panel: if its woodgrain its black? Standard interior trims are interior color?

The center piece for the gauges should have blue on parts of it with the wood grain that came with Sports Interior.

Dash end caps- mine are some shade of blue- should they be painted interior color or black?

Both of the end caps the plastic and the metal one should be blue. 

Original molded plastic bits and pieces (kick panels, seat backs, consoles, interior rear quarter trims) would have been molded in body color right? So my blue interior should have blue plastics?

They should be all blue except the panel under the rear window and each rear side is black.

Finally, the seat hinge cover plates- did these change over time? I scored a nice pair on Ebay but the mounting hole in my seat back frame has no threads. Either I'm not seeing an obvious way to mount these guys or somebody has messed with my frames...

I do not think I have ever seen a year for your car but thinking it is 71 due to the just Mach 1 on the fender. 71 seats had the release lever in the center I believe. Yes the cover for the hinge is different on that type seat. 

Couple other things I see. Of course with Mach 1 sports interior you should have the deluxe door panels. Also the steering wheel should be blue with blue pad. 

The A post covers go on over the kick panel I believe will have to look. 

If you had just the standard interior your steering column would be black I think. You got color match with the Mach 1 SIO.

The paint you need for your interior listed in NPD catalog is Medium Blue Metallic. The lacquer # is AP-16049 they also have the dye for soft surfaces. 

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

David pretty much nailed it and I'll only add a couple corrections. 

My car is a fixed rear seat car, the lower sail panel trims are blue with a black metal edging on the bottom. Package tray is blue as well, with only the rear trim being black. Keep in mind you'll see variations, as Ford changed things up over the years. This car was 100% original and untouched other than a replacement engine. 

Hinge covers on early cars snapped on, later had a screw. 

Deluxe/Mach 1 SI cars will have an interior color column and steering wheel. Pics below are of my car that I converted to M1 SI. This was when I first got the car together, so some details are not correct. Left dash cover should be blue. Blue seat hinge covers are missing. Door panels should be deluxe and the center gauges have a camera case center, not the correct woodgrain. Wheel is a Cougar rimblow. Seat medallions are missing. 

I used SEM Colorcoat interior paint and their prep products. Being a Northeast car, the interior was in very good condition, so I was able to verify that their paint match is excellent. I'll get the mix number for you later tonight. You can use the same paint for metal, plastic and vinyl, and can vary the sheen of the paint with their clear coat. 

Don't forget to also check out the Megasite interior section.

http://www.429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/interiors.htm

large.DSCF1438.JPG.997ce3d2b0b9652e69a3a3c388ad7246.JPGlarge.DSCF1439.JPG.d0b8e363d6dacab904784e2fa96c8af8.JPG

IMAG4110.jpg

• 2 months later...

I am planning to spend some time on this over the winter, I am working with a local engine builder- he's doing a short block for me as well as going through a pair of D0OE-R heads I had in my stash. Using the above info I'm also planning on updating the interior as there's a lot of wrong/ incorrect/ ugly parts. We'll see how much actually gets done.

Another interior question- seat belt color. Were they always black or did some trim combos get interior color belts?

Edited by mjlan
Seat belt question

Matt

• 5 months later...

I didn't really make much progress on this over the winter. I ordered some new Deluxe door panels from Mustang Market so will be attempting to get those installed here at some point.

I have a 501" stroker engine in the works but its taking a while. I have an old FRPP crate 460 engine that I think I'm going to stick in the car as it is just too gutless with the 429 that's in there now. I'm accumulating the bits and pieces to do that now.

Chris hooked me up with nice straight bumper- thank you sir!

Painted.thumb.jpg.186cef6da28bc2ac1c5eec168af25d8f.jpg

Chromed.thumb.jpg.a08e335cfc3a1f4378af0a280d81fc07.jpg

• Like 1

Matt

4 hours ago, mjlan said:

I didn't really make much progress on this over the winter. I ordered some new Deluxe door panels from Mustang Market so will be attempting to get those installed here at some point.

I have a 501" stroker engine in the works but its taking a while. I have an old FRPP crate 460 engine that I think I'm going to stick in the car as it is just too gutless with the 429 that's in there now. I'm accumulating the bits and pieces to do that now.

Chris hooked me up with nice straight bumper- thank you sir!

Painted.thumb.jpg.186cef6da28bc2ac1c5eec168af25d8f.jpg

Chromed.thumb.jpg.a08e335cfc3a1f4378af0a280d81fc07.jpg

Ah, so you were able to find a good bumper. That's great news and looks awesome.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

I am glad the bumper went to a good home!

Wisdom, knowledge and intelligence are three very different things.

1971 convertible, H-code, Ram Air

1971 Mach I, M-code, Ram Air

1972 Mexican GT-351

1988 Bronco II

• 3 months later...

I did get the engine changed, but the car has sat since then. I was hoping to have it out this year but the season is fast disappearing. I'm stalled at getting an exhaust built which seems lame now that I'm typing it...

Updated engine

1542217986_EngineSwapProgress-July21.thumb.JPG.f228d4b064264749093ccaa43ccbee91.JPG

I also found a pair of old school wheels (they are ET's) for the front since I wanted a change. I have a pair of 15x8 steel rims for the back.

ETs.thumb.JPG.ec91e381f0b34984b4010fa08b0b18f3.JPG

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the exhaust built, I got lazy and just ended it at the rear axle. It's 3" so not much quieter than open headers

Exhaust.thumb.JPG.6a5501b04175c3b7cb0816f582f7dee7.JPG

Once I got the exhaust on I could hear that the rocker arms or VS retainers were hitting the valve covers so I had to put these on. I was hoping for a more stealthy, stock look but that's out the window now

Engine.thumb.JPG.eab4d26dc62ffcc6c80c663820d62bd9.JPG

And a shot with the new wheels. I have a pair of black 15x8's for the back (those are the 14x7's with no caps/rings) but I haven't dug them out.

2060706758_WithETs.thumb.JPG.b14ea35f1df2121d5f901e3d27a18585.JPG

Matt

There are 429/460 valve cover spacers out there if you want to use the stock valve covers. Chuck