351 cobra jet intake manifold

CHIEFER69

Hey guys Chiefer again... So I have my mustang in the shop as you already know. Well I was going to put the Edelbrock performer 2665 intake manifold that supposedly is 4V 4B intake. Well my mechanic got it in and sent it back because the ports on the intake are significantly smaller then whats on my heads... Edelbrock says this would work. Do you guys know of any intake manifolds that fit good  on my heads? Im kind of bummed because he suggested just to put the stock intake back on and rebuild a spread bore carburetor for it.

Yes, sort of. Mine was branded and marketed by Shelby, manufactured by Buddy Bar, but the Blue Thunder is the same design. Buddy Bar is still in business, but I'm not sure if they manufacture the manifolds for Blue Thunder. They have always produced small runs of manifolds and heads for other companies, like Ford, Shelby, Edelbrock, and Holley, so my best guess is they also make manifolds for Blue Thunder.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

That's what I thought but the mechanic saw the ports on my heads and saw the ports on that intake and decided to send it back.. He said it didn't make sense to restrict flow from the manifold to heads... I bought the blue thunder though just tonight.. Hopefully it will make that engine purr

I wanted to add more hp and putting the stock intake to me was not in the question... Ive heard good things about this blue thunder intake so hopefully it works well... There's not that many options for after market intakes on the 351C 4v lol

Looks like the topic of port size difference is addressed at Summit Racing, posted under the Q&A section of this manifold.

Edited by MeanMachine

1971 Coupe - 306ci (circa 1971) - 10:1/750 Holley/RPM Air Gap/Lunati camshaft (221/231@.050)/Comp roller rockerarms/Ford Racing pulleys/Ported cylinder heads/MSD ignition/Patriot Ceramic LT headers/Single Chambers/Carter fuel pump/NOS Sniper/9" diff./4.57 gears/B&M Holeshot convertor/B&M Shiftkit/B&M Z-Gate/CE subframe connectors/Jegs Sport Star rims/Lakewood traction bars/Fiberglass Ram Air hood/Electric fan/Rear seat delete/Relocated battery/Custom graphics

1972 Mach 1 - Ford 400ci/C6 trans/Quick Fuel 750 carb/Weiand Intake/Harland Sharp rockers/Performance cam/Patriot headers/CVF racing underdrive pulleys/Carter Fuel pump/Jegs Sport Star rims/4.11 gears/Spool/Traction bars/Accel distributor and ignition/Miloden 8-quart/Jones Full Boar exhaust/Hurst Pro-matic 2 shifter

Yea I saw that on Summitt racing and showed the mechanic and He was like that doesnt make sense restricting the flow.. Oh well, he already sent it back and now Im waiting on my blue thunder intake which is supposedly better for this engine anyways

the reality is it doesn't restrict flow ans the bottom of the port doesn't flow well and creates a lot of turbulence.  Now if you put a huge cam and high compression slugs in the engine, then that extra space can be used above 3500 rpm, but on a stockis to 350-400 hp motor, it is just dead space

• Like 2

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

Well I pick up mu blue thunder intake tomorrow from UPS.. Hopefully I will be more pleased with this intake more than that edlebrock anyways since it cost twice as much Haha 

You and your mechanic will say, yes now this is an intake! Lol  That performer intake is just basically a stock replacement to go with a square bore carb.
I’m sure you will be very happy with the BT.

• Like 1

John - 72 Q Code