• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: D1OF-12127-LA Distributor - FOUND!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odysseus1968

Reaction score
Hey all!  I'm restoring my M-Code 351C-4V C6 California-purchased 1971 Torino Cobra and I'm looking for a correct D1OF-12127-LA distributor.  It's been a real chore trying to track one down.  If necessary (and if I can find one), I'll even go with a D0OF-12127-G dizzy, which is the non-California version.  My date code preference is from May through September of 1970.

Thank you all!

Brett

Just curious, are you building a Concours car that must be factory correct, or is it that you want it to be numbers correct as much as possible, I see that on West Coast Cougar's website, they had one for sale, but now gone. It also lists for the 71 Mustang. I use MustangTek for information, but it is not always totally complete or correct. It does not list that part number, but then it may list under Cougar, not sure.

Chances are, even if you do find the part you want, if you have made any engine upgrades or want your engine to perform better, a timing change will be in order. Most of us run between 14 -16 degrees of initial advance and recurve the dist. to  a max of 34-36 deg. mechanical all in between 2800-3000 rpm. plus a few degrees of vac advance on top. If you need to do that change, we can help guide you. On my 71 351C 4V 4 speed, the original dist. was D0OF-12127-V and was a California car, San Jose DSO.

Hope that helps, let us know how we can help further.

If Motor city does not have it...

I do came out of a California DSO 71 M code Grande date on the one I have is OH 27

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious, are you building a Concours car that must be factory correct, or is it that you want it to be numbers correct as much as possible, I see that on West Coast Cougar's website, they had one for sale, but now gone. It also lists for the 71 Mustang. I use MustangTek for information, but it is not always totally complete or correct. It does not list that part number, but then it may list under Cougar, not sure.

Chances are, even if you do find the part you want, if you have made any engine upgrades or want your engine to perform better, a timing change will be in order. Most of us run between 14 -16 degrees of initial advance and recurve the dist. to  a max of 34-36 deg. mechanical all in between 2800-3000 rpm. plus a few degrees of vac advance on top. If you need to do that change, we can help guide you. On my 71 351C 4V 4 speed, the original dist. was D0OF-12127-V and was a California car, San Jose DSO.

Hope that helps, let us know how we can help further.
Stanglover:  Excellent information!  Yes, I'm doing my best to build a Concours car (which is tough and expensive with a '71 Torino); or at least as numbers correct as I can get.  Regarding performance, there've surprisingly been no engine upgrades yet, but I do want to noodge the performance a bit during the engine rebuild without compromising the restoration, so I'll likely look into working the distributor as you've advised.  I'm quite a ways off though, with the car entirely gutted and in paint & body jail.  I'm taking advantage of the long layover to source parts and to restore the subsystems.  (Plus, I'm finishing a workshop build.  So much work!)  And thanks for the guidance offer too!  When I get there, I'll need it.

After the distributor, I'm down to sourcing the correct carb and harmonic balancer.  I have a really nice D1OF-EA carb, which is correct for a 1971 Torino/Mustang 351C-4V with M/T, that I'd trade for a nice D1OF-FA.

Anyhow, thanks again for the good info!

If Motor city does not have it...

I do came out of a California DSO 71 M code Grande date on the one I have is OH 27
OMS, that's awesome!  That date code is pretty much right on the money too.  I'll wait to hear back from Motor City as you noted; otherwise, I'll definitely be in touch.  Thanks so much for reaching out!

Stanglover:  Excellent information!  Yes, I'm doing my best to build a Concours car (which is tough and expensive with a '71 Torino); or at least as numbers correct as I can get.  Regarding performance, there've surprisingly been no engine upgrades yet, but I do want to noodge the performance a bit during the engine rebuild without compromising the restoration, so I'll likely look into working the distributor as you've advised.  I'm quite a ways off though, with the car entirely gutted and in paint & body jail.  I'm taking advantage of the long layover to source parts and to restore the subsystems.  (Plus, I'm finishing a workshop build.  So much work!)  And thanks for the guidance offer too!  When I get there, I'll need it.

After the distributor, I'm down to sourcing the correct carb and harmonic balancer.  I have a really nice D1OF-EA carb, which is correct for a 1971 Torino/Mustang 351C-4V with M/T, that I'd trade for a nice D1OF-FA.

Anyhow, thanks again for the good info!
You're welcome. Sounds like an interesting project you got yourself into. Even though you're doing a Torino, the guts are pretty much the same. If you do find a dist. chances are it will need a rebuild anyway, new bushing etc. Finding a correct vac advance that works may also be an issue. I could not find one for mine, so I just dropped the retard side of it and went with a single diaphragm adjustable one. I also went with a Pertronix Ignitor II module and matching coil with 8mm spiral wire set. Looks stock to everyone but people like us.

I have a friend with a 1970 Boss 302 and I know he paid big money for a correct distributor set up.

OMS, that's awesome!  That date code is pretty much right on the money too.  I'll wait to hear back from Motor City as you noted; otherwise, I'll definitely be in touch.  Thanks so much for reaching out!
Stanglover,   Go ahead and grab Don's, especially since it is in the date range you need.  I have not had a chance to get back and look, and I doubt mine will be in the date range anyways.  You can't go wrong with Don's parts!!

Stanglover,   Go ahead and grab Don's, especially since it is in the date range you need.  I have not had a chance to get back and look, and I doubt mine will be in the date range anyways.  You can't go wrong with Don's parts!!
Not Stanglover, wanting this item, but I expect Odysseus 1968 will see it.

You're welcome. Sounds like an interesting project you got yourself into. Even though you're doing a Torino, the guts are pretty much the same. If you do find a dist. chances are it will need a rebuild anyway, new bushing etc. Finding a correct vac advance that works may also be an issue. I could not find one for mine, so I just dropped the retard side of it and went with a single diaphragm adjustable one. I also went with a Pertronix Ignitor II module and matching coil with 8mm spiral wire set. Looks stock to everyone but people like us.

I have a friend with a 1970 Boss 302 and I know he paid big money for a correct distributor set up.
 Hey Stanglover!  Again, great information.  I suspect that when it's all said and done, the dizzy will have put me out quite a bit; no doubt about it.  But, it's been a dream since high school ('80's) to build out a thoroughbred to concours detail and I'm finally doing it.  It's a pretty great car with an interesting mix of options, so it's worth it.  (Marti report has it as 1 of 1 and he didn't even reference the original very rare power 4-way bench seat as a qualifier!  Or the power seat back latches!)  Honestly, I really should start a build thread and share this adventure properly, but I haven't gotten a "round tuit" yet. 😄  

Regarding the Pertronix module, I rebuilt the 240 straight 6 in my '66 F250 runabout work truck about a year ago and put in a Pertronix too.  I never would have thought it'd make such a difference, but it was practically night and day.  When everything is tuned in, the old truck runs as smooth as silk, and, like you said, everything looks stock.

Anyhow, thanks again!  And I'll be sure to follow up here when the dizzy comes together.

Not Stanglover, wanting this item, but I expect Odysseus 1968 will see it.
Motorcity Mustang: Right on, thank you for letting me know and for the cool testimonial for OMS!

See you all later!

Brett

Just wanted to follow up by saying that I finally have my distributor after about 5 years of searching thanks to Don at Ohio Mustang Supply.  Thanks Don!!

Great!  How many arms and legs did it take to pay for it?

Great!  How many arms and legs did it take to pay for it?
Actually, the price was exceptionally reasonable.  Heck, almost charitable!  I'll be looking to OMS again when I'm out on a limb.  I have a handful of difficult bits to secure still, so I'll be on the hunt again soon...

Back