New 73 Convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezell29

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible
Hi Everyone!

New to the forum but an old school car guy. I was an aircraft mechanic in the military and have worked in car restoration and auto parts over the last 40 years. I started driving in 81 and had lots of really cool muscle over the years. Now I work in technology and have hobbies in programming, 3d Printing, electronics and lighting among others. The last are relevant as I am manufacturing parts that cant be purchased for these cars, are ridiculously expensive or just improve my overall experience.

This is my third 71-73 - A red 73 Convertible. Shes a 351 Cleveland 2v with a FMX and factory air conditioning built in Dearborn in March of 73. 

Quick history on my car. This was nearly a barn find. The guy I bought it from purchased it in 2007 in California and had it shipped to Florida ( I got both the last Cali tags with the car). The car was 100% rust free and unmolested. The interior is in GREAT condition and original.  Even all the factory air was intact (but non-working). He spent a bunch of $$ on the car. I found a receipt where they went through the engine in 2007 for nearly $2500, plus they did suspension, shocks, tires, mufflers, etc. He also bought an Edelbrock RPM AirGap intake, MSD 8350 Ready to Run Dizzy and a Barry Grant Demon Carb of unspecified size. All the old original parts were in the trunk in perfect condition He said it never ran right and stopped registering it in 2012. The car sat since 2012 in his garage and when he went to retire he decided to sell and I bought it right. Towed it home and got to work.

First I drained the tank. While draining the fuel found it full of rust, so I replaced everything. Tank, lines, carb, fuel pump. I upgraded to a Holley 670cfm Street Avenger. I had to solve the notorious vapor lock problem, but all better now. I also replaced the radiator, did a tune up, changed the oil and got her up and running.

He put the tires on in '07 and it sat in the same place for almost 10 years. When I drove it - Whump, whump, whump so on went new tires on the 15" Magnum 500 rims.

I also replaced all the factory AC so she runs smooth, no leaks from the top even in a downpour and is cool inside. My AC control was broken but I manufactured parts to fix it and all is good now. Spent last weekend r&ring the quarter-glass so everything seals well now.

Among all the little stuff, I still need to replace the top, perhaps do exhaust and get paint!

20200507_171208 (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from NC.  Always glad to see another convertible!

Not going to lie Lazarus, I was looking for a good gray for my car and thinking about that color when I paint. It looks awesome! I had already saved off your pics! All the verts are red it seems

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much. I am really pleased with it. I really like the pewter color in our years but I wanted something a little darker. I did a lot of research, looking at some Ferrari and Toyota colors but ultimately liked the modern Ford Magnetic Metallic best. It is dark enough without losing the contrast of the dark grille, and I really like how it has just a hint of copper flake in it.

I like these Mustangs in all the colors I’ve seen, honestly. I am surprised by how much I like them in different greens for example. I have a 73 in yellow that’s really cool. I love them in white, silver, burgundy, red, black, blue, etc. There are just certain models of cars to me where the colors seem to make more difference than others, each bringing out different aspects of the car.  Our Mustangs are one of those cars I think. For example, I think red on the car looks a little “classier” (obviously not a bad thing), the gray or black makes it a little more edgy and muscle car to me. Certain colors make the car look longer to me, and certain ones really bring out the lines. I’d have 20 of them if I could. 

Thank you all!

JPAZ - Originally from Flint. Born and raised 18 years before I joined the Military.

Lazarus - I agree. My last 73 Mach 1 was grey. Over the years I owned everything - Camaros (a 68, lots of 70s, some 80s, now a 2012 45th edition), Trans Ams (My favorite car ever was a 73 TA with a 455), Chargers, a 73 Barracuda, Corvettes and now three 71-73 Mustangs. Each car is different and even has a different personality after 40+ years. Each wears a different color well depending on its personality. 

Younger generations have forgotten the history of these old cars. How they were shaped by the space race, impacted by the US imposing emission regulation and the gas crisis of 73. I remember the lines at the gas station. There's the history that shaped them and the history of each car. 

My car was built in Dearborn, Mi (About 80 miles from my home), sold in New Jersey, somehow ended up in California and then bought and transported back to Florida where I bought it. 

As I have worked on mine I found parking lot stubs from 89 under the dash. I also found a pet vaccine record from 1978 under the back seat. I found an orange cowboy like the army men, probably from the 70s under the seat too. I often think about all the dreams the people who owned this car before me had for it. That's WHY they survive. Each owner has a vision for what the car can be and a dream for it. Being from Michigan a lot of my family worked in the auto industry. Many people who built, worked on or owned my car are gone. Its out-survived generations and I plan to give this one to my daughter when I'm gone. 

Honestly I consider anything over 40 years to be kind of a work of art too because of the individualization. 

So working on my dreams for this car! All muscle here in the end. 

Welcome! I have also owned many 73 verts over the decades. Typically I will find some old artifact buried in the cracks and crevasses of the car during tear-down. I enjoy and find it interesting to research the car's ownership history. Using these clues, I been able to piece together, a partial ownership history, and have even been in contact with owners from the 70s and 80s. They have had interesting stories to tell about the car when they owned it and have given me additional clues leading to other owners and so on.

Good luck with your new project.

Welcome (back) from West Texas!  Good lookin' car(s)!  I originally fell in love with a '71 Mach 1 when I was around 14, but since I've been here at this site, I find myself wanting a 'vert now, as well.

Latest posts

Back