Speedometer Core Cable replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible
My speedo is jumping and instead of replacing the 40 year old cable, I bought just the core.  I thought it would be easy, pull the cable from the tranny, pull the core and push in the new one in.  There is no video or instructions anywhere to be found. (Maybe im not researching it well).  So I pulled out the cable from the tranny,  pulled off the end gear then I tried pulling the  cable core  but it wont come out.  I pulled pretty hard but I dont want to break anything at the speedo end.

Does anyone have experience with just replacing the core cable? Any advice would be helpful. 

This is what I bought.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/cable-core-speedometer-130-inch-diameter-81-inch/150968/80571

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Notice the flange on the crimp-on end? It's on the speedometer end and can't fit through the housing. You need to pull it out from the speedometer end.

The bits and pieces that wore off your old cable will still be in the cable housing. If the housing isn't flushed out the new cable will likely bounce also, or wear out quickly.

Back