Blueprint Engines?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
She is named Victoria and sports a 302 with a C4.
Good morning everyone! I am in the market for a new motor and am in the searching for options stage. I have come across the motor linked below and am curious if anyone has any experience with Blueprint Engines. I would run an HEL distributor, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and Holley Sniper EFI on top of it. I am running a C4 and will have to check to see what converter is in it, but would ultimately run a 2200-2400 converter. My rear ended is all stock, 8 inch with 3.00 gear ratio. The motor is rated at 370hp/350trq, I know loss through a C4 is roughly 30hp. I like these numbers a lot, just not sure if the price is on point for these kinds of numbers. It does have aluminum heads and hypereutectic pistons and has a roller cam. What are your thoughts, opinions, alternatives. My price for a motor is in the $3-4K range. As always, thanks for your input!

I'm sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine, but why the hell do you want to use a HEI distributor on a FORD engine? There are much better options than GM crap likely made in China.  A good, well curved DuraSpark or a factory style correctly rebuilt and curved or even a MSD set up would be a better option imho. Another one to consider is a Pertronix distributor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine, but why the hell do you want to use a HEI distributor on a FORD engine? There are much better options than GM crap likely made in China.  A good, well curved DuraSpark or a factory style correctly rebuilt and curved or even a MSD set up would be a better option imho.
To each their own. 

I'm sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine, but why the hell do you want to use a HEI distributor on a FORD engine? There are much better options than GM crap likely made in China.  A good, well curved DuraSpark or a factory style correctly rebuilt and curved or even a MSD set up would be a better option imho. Another one to consider is a Pertronix distributor.
I agree, not only is the technology used in them older than DuraSpark, but they are SOOOO UGLY. A stock distributor with a Pertronix P1 or P2 and coil will outperform the HEI look-alike.

I agree, not only is the technology used in them older than DuraSpark, but they are SOOOO UGLY. A stock distributor with a Pertronix P1 or P2 and coil will outperform the HEI look-alike.
Thank you Don, 

But as 73 Pony said, "to each their own". Just not for me.

However, not knowing much about 302's, that motor appears to be quite a good deal for the money.

I have a coworker that has two different big block Chevy engines - A 632 marine and a 540 from Blueprint.  His experience with them has been very good.  The 632 is pushing around a 22’ boat to about 113mph.  His experience was that he couldn’t piece together a big block Chevy out of the Summit Racing catalog for the price Blueprint was selling one for - and the Blueprint one came with a warrantee and a dyno sheet.  

Blueprints shop has some pretty cool videos. The interesting thing about them is the scale of their operation- big.

If you are starting from scratch it is a reasonable price. Do they offer a front sump pan option? I'd get the damper that was used to balance the engine from them as well. The 8 inch differential may not live behind that engine depending on how you use the car. In the "just my opinion column", I also would not use the HEI as there are better options that like better and allow the use of a stock style air cleaner assembly. Chuck

Edit: Had time to do more reading. Like any other large volume manufacturer they have some intermittent quality problems. I suggest further investigation. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. I always use a low volume, high quality machine shop with a great reputation. If you are very careful you sometimes get what you pay for. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back