Automatic Shifter Bushings Replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Vert 351C White
Hi, 

I need to replace the shifter  plastic bushing on the floor shifter (FMX).  Shifter moves sideways.  Looking at getting a set Part # 44-38959-1 from MAC's auto.  Cost is  not the issue here,but I've learned to ask the members when buying replacements parts. Some are just plain junk!!! and I hate to have car down for weeks while I look for plastic bushings.  

Thanks

Also  Happy Father's Day !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi , I bought shifter rebuild parts, some from NPD and WCC.  I have the parts but I decided to 'baby' the shifter until fall.  I really hate to mess with car when it's 90 out.  I'm going to do this and the rear spring at the same time this fall, before winter.   Plus I really like to drive the car summer evenings and don't what to have it off line cause I did a dumb ass mistake :)  I believe on my FMX I need to remove  the linkage at the tranny. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not too hard of a fix. Just disconnect the linkage right at the bottom of the shifter. (mark it first). Then go inside the vehicle, remove shifter plastic bezel, and locator black out strip, and maybe Neutral safety switch. (Trying to remember the steps) Then If I recall it was a 9/16" offset to loosen the nut. Remove shifter handle, and replace bushings. This is  a good time to lube cable and check everything else as well!! Maybe new shifter light bulb. Remember to grease bushings too!! Good luck!!

Back