Server Problems!

RocketFoot

Question

Sorry for the down time...our server got bombed by web crawlers and registered over 100,000 hits in under 8 hours! That caused the slow downs and the offline status.

I'm working with the host to prevent this from happening again, but if it does, don't worry, we'll be back! I might have to move to a dedicated server!

Stay tuned!

spacer.png

20 answers to this question

Thanks for your hard work to keep this site up and running! You know we all appreciate it!

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

Sorry,

That was just me checking my PM's.

Paul of MO

quote=rocketfoot;33359]

Sorry for the down time...our server got bombed by web crawlers and registered over 100,000 hits in under 8 hours! That caused the slow downs and the offline status.

I'm working with the host to prevent this from happening again, but if it does, don't worry, we'll be back! I might have to move to a dedicated server!

Stay tuned!

Thanks Barry people where starting to panic. I thought wall street had fallen, oh wait a minute thats already happened, never mind:P

Too much truth in that statement to be funny Roy.

Thanks Barry for all that you do for us!

spacer.png

Thanks Barry for the quick response to my email; I thought I had been bad and barred from the site when the message said the account was suspended! :>

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

Yeah, crawlers are good and bad. Good in that it helps page rankings but bad because they hog up connections to the forum! I could turn off spider bots but then we'd probably never get any new members!

We'll be good to go in a few days!

spacer.png

Man I hate to hear you''re having to deal with this. Much appreciated Barry.

Well I suppose if we all invest $1000 in beer. Wait a minute. we probably wouldn't care... scratch that. Sorry Tnfastbk :P

2rr7aiv.png

Just cruising along minding our own business when BAM!!! The LAWS show up.

Thanks Barry for all the work you do to keep THE BEST Mustang Site going:udaman: :udaman:

2zdx09d.png

Yea,Tho i cruise through the valley of the shadow of rice,I will fear no Turbo,For Torque art with me.Thy rods and crankshaft,they comfort me. :D Robert [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=357]Visit My Garage[/button]

Request for transfer has been submitted! We should get moved to a new quad core server fairly soon! Be prepared for some brief downtime while the transfer is in process. But don't worry, we'll be back to normal and better than ever soon! If all goes well, you wont even notice anything other than wicked fast page loads! LOL

spacer.png

Request for transfer has been submitted! We should get moved to a new quad core server fairly soon! Be prepared for some brief downtime while the transfer is in process. But don't worry, we'll be back to normal and better than ever soon! If all goes well, you wont even notice anything other than wicked fast page loads! LOL

that should square you away for a bit.

guys, this is going to cost substantially more, so if you can help chip in to cover the costs, I'm sure Barry would greatly appreciate it.

Barry, what's the new monthly cost over the shared hosting? Shall we try to set up a donation drive?

I'm in. If many of us frequent flyers sent in $10, would that cover it?

Doc

Doc

Project started 8-7-10

Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system

Current "mini-project": interior upgrade :-/

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=76]Doc's Garage[/button][button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mustang-convertible-restoration-and-modification]Doc's Wiki[/button]

that should square you away for a bit.

guys, this is going to cost substantially more, so if you can help chip in to cover the costs, I'm sure Barry would greatly appreciate it.

Barry, what's the new monthly cost over the shared hosting? Shall we try to set up a donation drive?

The dedicated server will cost more, but with regular donations and vendor support, I think we can manage! I don't see a need to put a burden on the members. Every little bit certainly helps and is greatly appreciated! You guys do know that!

spacer.png

Barry FYI. Go through all 0 post accounts check all signatures. The lames are only wanting to add a link to signatures, they also want the registration email to use as a spam email address therefore getting your domain listed as a spammer for all the free emails IE hotmail, yahoo and gmail, msn. Meaning this will eventually make it impossible for legit users to get the registration emails. Banning bogus accounts don't help, especially if they have anything in there signatures.

You are also heavily modded, this opens up so many worms for you its not funny. The mod writers are doing this on purpose and since mybb does not monitor there mods you are on your own, but they will leave a hole open to your server. Its why I wont use hardly any mods. Ever notice even the MyBB forums have NO Mods, that tells me all I need to know.

Also ban non stop the Baidu spider IP addresses!! Its a Chinese search bot.

I'm also contemplating switching away from mybb, better back your site up everyday!

Everything your going thru is an attempt mostly to get to your mail server, get your domain added as a spam promoter and adding to your cost of monthly bandwidth. Be sure guests cant view photos as that is a download.

Hope this helps Ive been going thru the same stuff as you are. Changing hosting companies will help for awhile, but its all the mods you have to worry about. Also a dedicated server is exactly what they want you to do, this will bring on a whole new host of issues! Mach1Club has been on a dedicated server since the beginning, it makes no differences. Free boards are great but they come with problems. Be 100% sure about your mods before installing them, even the ones deactivated in your plugin section you have to worry about, I spent 750 bucks last month having security holes closed in mysql and php and hunting java code vulnerabilities created by MODS/PLUGINS! If you add and activate any other domains on your dedicated server then you have to worry about any holes in that site that can cross contaminate all sites on that server, its a vicious circle my friend!

Get used to this it is going to get worse. Its the foreign hackers trying to bring down American internet eCommerce. If they can hack major corporations, guys like us are small pickings! They also want all of your members email addresses.

I don't post much got my own issues and working on a few other Mustang sites but your site looks great!

Its all part of doing this that members don't understand. The cost involved keeps growing, its also why a lot of people give up. Isn't it great! :P

Luckily for me the past month or so has finally calmed things down.

Members if you like your site here be sure to help out Barry its not fun or free chasing all these issues!

My current Mustangs 2012 Shelby GT500 & 1972 Mustang Grande 351C

mycars.JPG

mach1clubbanner2.jpg

Oh yeah...I actively cover all those bases! Admin'ing a forum certainly isn't a cake walk! But I enjoy it and I'm happy to invest in the site. I don't like to ask for donations and I don't depend on them to make site decisions but I can say that I appreciate every dollar that comes in from donations and vendors! Every dollar is used to keep this baby running smooth and clean!

Thanks guys! Again...I provide the media but you guys make the forum great!

:cool:

spacer.png

I hear ya. In 3 years not one penny has come from my members. Usually if you ask for cash they run :D

mycars.JPG

mach1clubbanner2.jpg

Barry FYI. Go through all 0 post accounts check all signatures. The lames are only wanting to add a link to signatures, they also want the registration email to use as a spam email address therefore getting your domain listed as a spammer for all the free emails IE hotmail, yahoo and gmail, msn. Meaning this will eventually make it impossible for legit users to get the registration emails. Banning bogus accounts don't help, especially if they have anything in there signatures.

You are also heavily modded, this opens up so many worms for you its not funny. The mod writers are doing this on purpose and since mybb does not monitor there mods you are on your own, but they will leave a hole open to your server. Its why I wont use hardly any mods. Ever notice even the MyBB forums have NO Mods, that tells me all I need to know.

Also ban non stop the Baidu spider IP addresses!! Its a Chinese search bot.

I'm also contemplating switching away from mybb, better back your site up everyday!

Everything your going thru is an attempt mostly to get to your mail server, get your domain added as a spam promoter and adding to your cost of monthly bandwidth. Be sure guests cant view photos as that is a download.

Hope this helps Ive been going thru the same stuff as you are. Changing hosting companies will help for awhile, but its all the mods you have to worry about. Also a dedicated server is exactly what they want you to do, this will bring on a whole new host of issues! Mach1Club has been on a dedicated server since the beginning, it makes no differences. Free boards are great but they come with problems. Be 100% sure about your mods before installing them, even the ones deactivated in your plugin section you have to worry about, I spent 750 bucks last month having security holes closed in mysql and php and hunting java code vulnerabilities created by MODS/PLUGINS! If you add and activate any other domains on your dedicated server then you have to worry about any holes in that site that can cross contaminate all sites on that server, its a vicious circle my friend!

Get used to this it is going to get worse. Its the foreign hackers trying to bring down American internet eCommerce. If they can hack major corporations, guys like us are small pickings! They also want all of your members email addresses.

I don't post much got my own issues and working on a few other Mustang sites but your site looks great!

Its all part of doing this that members don't understand. The cost involved keeps growing, its also why a lot of people give up. Isn't it great! :P

Luckily for me the past month or so has finally calmed things down.

Members if you like your site here be sure to help out Barry its not fun or free chasing all these issues!

I got some optimization things we're going to try once Barry gets the site switched over to the dedicated box. we'll also try to eliminate some unnecessary plugins.

Good luck, let me know what plugins you find that don't have vulnerabilities. Nearly every single one Ive tried had something wrong with it, because in many cases its a foreign teenager writing the script, in other cases its intentional for it to have a flaw for hackers to snag your mail server and your members email addresses. I was able to close holes with a rewrite of some of the scripts but some just were to risky. So to be safe I just said no :D I set up an extra nothing site to install mods on and see what happens from things I installed. That's how Ive been able to deduct that the mods are usually crap in almost every case. If its really cool its got a problem.

You guys are doing a great job here. Keep up the good work! Ultimately helping the 71-73 Mustang guys is the goal, since so many people that don't have one think they are battle ships. I had to sell mine, but I'm on the hunt again, and driving a 2010 GT ain't so bad for now!

mycars.JPG

mach1clubbanner2.jpg

A lot of that info is over my head, but I enjoy both sites! I have not been able to get into this 7173 site again for over two days (8/22 & 8/23), but I'm back now! Thanks for all your efforts!

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg