Marti Report Options

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code 4 speed
1973 Chevelle 454 SS
2005 Magnum RT
2008 Colorado
Any of you folks know what an "Extra Cooling Option" is as listed on my Marti Report? I searched Google but can't seem to come up with a definitive answer. :huh:

I do recall somewhere that it was a 13$ option and that it was standard on Mustangs with AC and optional on all others except the 250.

I tend to think that it was (is) related to the radiator. According to the Hollander Interchange Manual, different radiators were used in in the Mustangs with "standard" cooling than those with the "heavy duty" cooling packages in the 1971-1973 429s, 351C and 302s (with AC).

Hope this helps.

BT

It varies somewhat from year to year,71-73, but, it is primarily the width and thickness of the radiator, 21.75 in. vs. 26.0 in. and 1.5 in. vs. 2.25 in.. Some variation in fan blade and shroud depending on engine size. Chuck

{I tend to think that it was (is) related to the radiator} <~`i think so too..maybe even more core....but..could all so be the power steering cooler that alot of the high end stangs got....extra cooling option kinda leaves you with a ? hehe

i notice not all things show up on a marti report....like my marti report didnt say anything about dual sport mirrors....but the buck tag says it has them...and it has them on the car...when i was a teen.. my dad thought they were replacements...cause they didnt match any stangs at the local cars shows...but thanks to the buck tag decoders on this site i was able to figure out they was stock..lol

The radiator that was on the car was scrap and there was no shroud. If any of you guys know which shroud and fan I'll be needing for the bigger radiator I'd sure appriciate it. I do recall seeing on Ebay a mention of an A/C shroud so all of this makes pretty good sense. Especially putting in the big radiator with proper fan and shroud. I'm going to need all of the cooling help I can get. Thanks again for the help.

When I installed the 472 (429 based 460) in the Grande, I looked into radiators for the 1971 429 and determined it used the same size radiator and shroud found on the 351 4V cars of 1973.

You should be able to go to any of the "Mustang Supply Houses" to include one of our Vendor sponsors to obtain what you need. While the stock radiators in most cases (I believe) were two row, you could probably upgrade to 3 or 4 row if you are looking for even more cooling capacity.

All the catalogs I have (though outdated) have them listed.

BT

Radiators have taken a large jump in price ($130.00 in two years). Be sitting down when you look them up. Focus on the dimension previously posted. Many advertise "improved 2 core, better than old 3 core", I personally doubt it. I would start with Don at OMS. He currently shows out of stock on radiator and shroud. But he will know about when to expect new stock. He may also have a good used, correct 5 blade, 18.5 inch fan and spacer if you need it. Good luck on the search. Chuck

Yeah, I Know. I say upwards of $500 for the "correct" radiator. Thank god I'm going restmod and not full restoration, But be sure that cooling is one of things I don't gamble on. I'll get with Don.

Thanks Chuck

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
My 250 I6 has the extra cooling option too... I did a thread trying to find this option down a little better but if this option is a hard to find, imagine it on my low compression little engine!!

In the plus side Mark, i can tell you that this option is something like standard on AC cars and optioned on non AC, at least on 72...

If you have a non AC car, then the cooling upgrades are listed somewhere in the forum in my original thread! Im now on my iPhone and cant search for it but ill do as soon as i hit the laptop!

Back