1973 Convertible 351 4v 4 Speed - NACA Hood Standard?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71to73

Reaction score
My Car
1969 Mustang GT Convertible
Looking for a 1971 - 1973 Mustang Convertible
First post!

This question may have been answered before on the forum but I did a search and couldn't find anything.  

If a 1973 Mustang convertible was ordered with the 351 4V and a 4 speed, was the NACA hood standard?  What about hood locks and Ram Air?  The reason I ask is beacause I have seen a 1973 convertible with that powertrain combination and it had the standard flat hood which I was told is factory.  I would have thought it would come with the NACA hood as standard.  The Marti Report didn't list the NACA hood as an option.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The flat hood was standard on all 1973 non-Mach 1 models, regardless of powertrain. You had to order the NACA/NASA hood option, or the TuTone hood option to get it. 

FWIW, 1972 was the only year the scooped hood was standard in the Q code 351-4V option package. 

Thanks Hemikiller

First post!

This question may have been answered before on the forum but I did a search and couldn't find anything.  

If a 1973 Mustang convertible was ordered with the 351 4V and a 4 speed, was the NACA hood standard?  What about hood locks and Ram Air?  The reason I ask is beacause I have seen a 1973 convertible with that powertrain combination and it had the standard flat hood which I was told is factory.  I would have thought it would come with the NACA hood as standard.  The Marti Report didn't list the NACA hood as an option.

Thanks
The Naca Hood was a no cost option on 73 Q codes as far as I know. Some people didn't want the Naca Hood. Ram air not available on on Q codes in 72-73.  Hood locks were part of the two tone hood option. When you see two tone hoods with out the locks it is most likely aftermarket paint. When you see side stripes and chrome along the sides it usually means the stripes are added.

The Naca Hood was a no cost option on 73 Q codes as far as I know. Some people didn't want the Naca Hood. Ram air not available on on Q codes in 72-73.  Hood locks were part of the two tone hood option. When you see two tone hoods with out the locks it is most likely aftermarket paint. When you see side stripes and chrome along the sides it usually means the stripes are added.
The NACA or NASA hood aka the RAM AIR hood was a no-cost option for F code (302-2v) Mach 1's only.  BTW very rare to see this standard hood on a Mach 1 combination these days.  Most 73 MAch 1's came with the non RAM AIR  NACA/NASA  hood.   For 1973 the functional RAM AIR option was only available on 2V engines.  

Ray

The NACA or NASA hood aka the RAM AIR hood was a no-cost option for F code (302-2v) Mach 1's only.  BTW very rare to see this standard hood on a Mach 1 combination these days.  Most 73 MAch 1's came with the non RAM AIR  NACA/NASA  hood.   For 1973 the functional RAM AIR option was only available on 2V engines.  

Ray
I was referring to non Mach 1's.  I own two. A 73 with 4sp with out the Nasa Hood. The one with Nasa has it listed on the Marti option sheet. Don't have the dealer one to verify costs. I read in the past about the no cost part. No proof though.

Proof for the Mach 1 and its NASA Type hood as no-cost option is right out of Ford's 1973 Facts Book.  This book and simialr books for 1971 and 1972 are saved somewhere on this site.  

And here is a link to the book I mentioned!

Ray

Back