What color?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Convertible
I know that this is a really subjective question but I thought that I'd ask. I am getting closer to having my car ready for paint. One side of me says to keep the original red but to paint it a red color that really stands out. Maybe a newer Mustang or Shelby red?  The other side says to paint it a non original color or maybe Grabber blue or something?

Mustang 72 drivers before.jpg

Mustang 72 rear.jpg

mustang front #2 72.jpg

I'd say do some google searches for 73 mustang convertible "color" and look at different pics and choose what you like best as it is your car. I am planning on stripping mine down this winter and painting. I know exactly what color I want but could not find any examples on google so I used photoshop and rendered it out. 

I've actually considered Toyota's Spruce Green Mica...pops in the sun and the hue looks like it could fit in as a color option of the '70s.

-I'm a fan of green

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm  I assume you are looking for opinions here, So I will give you mine.

1) Stay with red.  A red convertible is always worth more, especially when that is he original color.  Fresh paint always looks better than the old stuff, so it will wake up nicely with the original color.

2) My second choice is a bright yellow.  Bright yellow with balck accents is the Holy Grail in my book.

3) I have a grabber Blue Mach 1.  Love the color, but have never liked the looks of it on a convertible or coup.  Not sure why, but it does not appeal to me.

kcmash

Any nearly fifty year old red will always look horrible due to fading. Ford's 2B Bright Red really stands out when it's fresh and it kind of glows in the sun with a very slight orange hue. Pics on the internet are going to vary wildly due to equipment,  experience and photographic conditions.

My advise is to get a rattle-can mix of it and shoot a test panel.

I know that this is a really subjective question but I thought that I'd ask. I am getting closer to having my car ready for paint. One side of me says to keep the original red but to paint it a red color that really stands out. Maybe a newer Mustang or Shelby red?  The other side says to paint it a non original color or maybe Grabber blue or something?

View attachment 42894

View attachment 42895

View attachment 42896
I can't tell from the picture but make sure the shop welds up the small holes in the tail light panel accross the bumper area,  that are for 1973 cars...if your replacement panel has them as most do

On 6/26/2020 at 7:40 PM, midlife said:

Paint it black, you devil!

Well at least Randy did not stick up a bunch of PINK flamingos as his color suggestion 

Paint it "resale red" or "arrest me red" or whatever the original red was. Chuck

Any nearly fifty year old red will always look horrible due to fading. Ford's 2B Bright Red really stands out when it's fresh and it kind of glows in the sun with a very slight orange hue. Pics on the internet are going to vary wildly due to equipment,  experience and photographic conditions.

I'm a little biased but I think it needs 2B red!!!  LOL

Ray

Kinda partial to Ford Magnetic Metallic myself, which I have on my 72, but the yellow on my 73 turns a lot of heads. 

Thank you!

Back