Date Codes on D0OE-R Heads?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 J Code Mach 1
1972 H Code Mach 1
I had made a comment elsewhere but figured I would stick this here to be sate- I have a pair of CJ heads that have 'SPEC' where the date code should be.

Any first hand knowledge of what this means? I've turned up many theories but none that make sense. Anybody have any ideas? The heads do have studs and guidelplates, I can't remember if these are Ford installed or not...

IMG_2467 Thumbnail Resize.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2467 Thumbnail Resize.JPG
    IMG_2467 Thumbnail Resize.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 0
Maybe.

Or could be that this run of parts deviated from the released drawing somehow and Ford didn't want to go through the hassle of releasing a new P/N for whatever the deviation was.

My theory is that the 'SPEC'' indicates a head destined for the additional machining for the screw-in studs and guideplates, so an SCJ head.

Anybody know for sure?

Maybe.

Or could be that this run of parts deviated from the released drawing somehow and Ford didn't want to go through the hassle of releasing a new P/N for whatever the deviation was.

My theory is that the 'SPEC'' indicates a head destined for the additional machining for the screw-in studs and guideplates, so an SCJ head.

Anybody know for sure?
Seems to be about right, an early SCJ head. 

https://460ford.catsboard.com/t22109-is-my-429-cj-original

The responder "GT350HR" is Randy Gillis, who's "been around" Ford parts a while.

Back