any ideas?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libram

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1
Ok so i know the reasons have to be limited but im lookin for ideas to try and help me narrow it down. Its been a good while but just to refresh everyone 72 mach1. So here's what I've got goin on. The lights are turning off and on, not just the headlights, everything, lamps, running lamps, console lights, brake lights, everything. It either works or nothing. It seems to happen more when the car is being driven but after driving will continue at idle. I've already replaced the headlamp/dimmer module and no change. I'm thinking it has to be a loose ground but where? What ground could fail the entire lighting system by itself? Any ideas?

If you're running anything but factory type non-halogen sealed bean headlamps, you'll have this problem. some times you get lucky with halogens, usually not. A permanent fix is a relay pack retrofit. You're now taking the load off the headlamp switch, and getting power directly from the battery (+) cable. I cannot recommend it enough - no switch worries &  brighter headlamps - what's not to love?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-CERAMIC-H4-HEADLIGHT-RELAY-WIRING-HARNESS-2-HEADLAMP-LIGHT-BULB-SOCKET-PLUGS/290975680907

Great post, HK!  :thumb:

I have one of those with some factory-looking H4 lights to install yet - but I haven't driven mine at night enough to worry about it.  Last time was 3 years ago and I pretty much had to feel my way home in the dark, not only because of factory OE sealed beam technology (meaning, tiny yellow splotches of light), but also because one was spotlighting birds in the trees on the side of the road as I went by and the other lit up a 4 foot wide puddle about 20 feet in front of the car.  LOL!

As you mentioned, the headlight switch was getting pretty warm as well in just the 3-mile drive from the park to the house.

Wrap the harness with some factory-style tape and tuck it down below the fan shroud, and nobody even will know it's there.

Back