Need this part

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdm1952

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
Does anyone know if this is being made new? It is the seal on my 71 Mach 1. Upper part of the fender but I do not know what it is called. Thanks for any help

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you talking about at the rear of the fender by the cowl?  If so they are not available.  Someone on face book was going to 3D print some and sell them.  

Those small plastic pieces at the upper rear of the fender Ford called a "Front Fender Filler". They were production installed until 6/1/71, after that date they were no longer used. The 71 Cougar also used the same fillers, but they can be difficult to find since a lot of them have deteriorated over time, and were not installed for the entire production run.  Part number for the right side is D1ZZ-16570-A (ID# D1ZB-16570-AA,AB,AE) Left side D1ZZ-16571-A (ID# D1ZB-16571-AA,AB,AE). As you can see there were three suffix number changes on the engineering number but the part number never changed. The left side was discontinued 10 /72 and the right side in 4/73 so they didn't stay in the parts system very long.  Ford continued to use a similar filler at the rear of the front fender for the 72-76 T-Birds, so it's anybody's guess as to why they were dropped on the Mustang and Cougar and not the T-Bird! 

At this point I can only suggest checking with Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply or Mike @ Motor City Mustang and hope that they might have an early build 71. With a short run on the production line and many that have been lost or deteriorated over the years, a pair of survivors would be a good candidate for a 3D project.   

16570-d1zz-a.jpg

Here is a previous link on them.   Rick Ybarra is planning on making some.  Not for sure if he is a member here but he is  on the facebook site.  Said he was hoping to have some in about a month.  If I hear more I will update this post. 

Back